OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing my new "Fake"pex controller... I bought a geeni wifi power strip and small geeni security camera for a total of around $50. Im super happy with both of them.

Some of my favorite functions are the fact that I can turn off my ATO before doing any mantinence that would effect the water level and also I can hear sounds through the camera and I can speak into the camera (which is awesome for messing with my girlfriend)

IMG_1985.jpg
IMG_1986.PNG

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am making some things on the 3d printer! I have an AI prime light shade, api test tube rack a couple of RFG's and some lock line fittings! If any of you guys are in So Cal and you need something printed, let me know and I will do it for free, I don't really want to ship anything but you can come grab it if you want!

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 6.12.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 6.19.47 PM.png
Have you tried making the dual nozzle?

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried making the dual nozzle?
I did ! It worked well but was way too bulky in my small tank and I didnt like the look of it... The loc line links and nozzles are 1/2 inch and I think i need to scale down to 1/4 inch to make it look smaller in the tank... but I need to create a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch reducing "Y" piece... I kinda gave up and am thinking about just buying it...

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did ! It worked well but was way too bulky in my small tank and I didnt like the look of it... The loc line links and nozzles are 1/2 inch and I think i need to scale down to 1/4 inch to make it look smaller in the tank... but I need to create a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch reducing "Y" piece... I kinda gave up and am thinking about just buying it...
Was thinking of purchasing for my nuvo 14, don’t want it to look bulky as well?

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of purchasing for my nuvo 14, don’t want it to look bulky as well?
1634576127009.png

@Hooz got a dual 1/4 inch rfg set up and in my opinion It looks fantastic... He has more info on the exact products that were purchased to achieve this.. As you can see it doesnt look bulky at all and this is in a 10 gallon tank! Also if you wanted you could add more loc line links to get more length out of the nozzles.

tescalante

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1634576127009.png

@Hooz got a dual 1/4 inch rfg set up and in my opinion It looks fantastic... He has more info on the exact products that were purchased to achieve this.. As you can see it doesnt look bulky at all and this is in a 10 gallon tank! Also if you wanted you could add more loc line links to get more length out of the nozzles.
be great to get the info for the products

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all stuff from Vivid Creative Aquatics. The 10g (and I think the 14 Peninsula) uses the 16mm drop adapter, Then I used a 1/2" to dual 1/4" Locline Y adapter, a few sections of 1/4" Locline, then dual 1/4" RFGs.

I use the Sicce 0.5 pump, and the flowrate matches up perfectly with the dual 1/4" RFGs.

If you have less flow, you could do a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer (instead of a Y adapter) and a single 1/4" RFG. I did that in a smaller tank with a smaller return pump, and it worked well also.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all stuff from Vivid Creative Aquatics. The 10g (and I think the 14 Peninsula) uses the 16mm drop adapter, Then I used a 1/2" to dual 1/4" Locline Y adapter, a few sections of 1/4" Locline, then dual 1/4" RFGs.

I use the Sicce 0.5 pump, and the flowrate matches up perfectly with the dual 1/4" RFGs.

If you have less flow, you could do a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer (instead of a Y adapter) and a single 1/4" RFG. I did that in a smaller tank with a smaller return pump, and it worked well

Thanks for the info Hooz, youre the man , but one thing to note @tescalante is that the 14 gallon peninsula uses the 19mm vca drop adapter for sure as you can see on their website.
1634580065012.png

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tescalante @Hooz hey guys, just an FYI, I got some 1/4 inch loc line links and a "Y" reducer from marineandreef.com and 3d printed some random flow generators and this is how they look... I mentioned the 1/2 inch loc line looked really bulky and you can see the comparison below (much less bulky than the 1/2 inch... I think the 1/4 inch decreased the flow output, but for me personally, the looks of the 1/4 in nozzles was well worth the decrease in flow.
tempImageMcdlF2.png
tempImageqLbmUR.png

tempImageABbQ2R.png

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tescalante Here are the products on marineandreef.com... This is all you will need aside from the random flow generator, you just pop off the "fan" nozzle that came with the IM 14 and click the "Y" on in its place and you will have two 1/4 inch nozzles.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 4.36.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 4.39.29 PM.png

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update ! New corals ! Got a couple zoa frags, red monti caps and a frog spawn!

The GSP that I got in the tank about a couple of weeks ago went through a weird thing where it was completely closed for about 4 days and as of the past couple days has opened back up and seems to be extending its polyps more and overall looking allot bigger... Is that common behavior for GSP?

Also, seeing a slight cloudiness in the water, think it may be the beginning of a bacterial bloom. Planning to do a large 50-75% water change over the weekend. But overall everything looks to be happy and healthy!
COR.jpg
AL.jpg

As always , any comments are appreciated!

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! You're making me REALLY want a 3d printer.
Thankyou sir! Its just crazy what $180 dollar technology and free software can do! I do really enjoy using it and would always recommend the Creality Ender 3 to anyone that is interested. They cost less than an AI prime!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou sir! Its just crazy what $180 dollar technology and free software can do! I do really enjoy using it and would always recommend the Creality Ender 3 to anyone that is interested. They cost less than an AI prime!
Honestly between the cost of the ai prime lamp shade, the wb filter sock cup, the overflow guard thing, and the RFGs/loc-line, I would be more than half way there.

How do you find the print quality on the ender 3?

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly between the cost of the ai prime lamp shade, the wb filter sock cup, the overflow guard thing, and the RFGs/loc-line, I would be more than half way there.

How do you find the print quality on the ender 3?
The ender 3 has the capability to print with excellent quality! Print quality is less about the printer you have and a lot more about the users knowledge. The slicing software I use is Cura, and the settings in that software is what determines your print quality. A lot of times people will bump up the speed and the layer height and decrease the infill density just to save on printing times, and this is where the quality is sacrificed. Right out of the box my printer worked great and there are tons of youtube videos on Cura settings that make for the best print possible.

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the dual nozzle from IM directly and I agree it looked too bulky and stuck way too far out into the tank. I broke it down all the way to just the split nozzle with no additional loc line so that I could direct the flow in two directions. Also, I think you asked about me using the Nero 3. I love it so far! Keep up all your good work. Build is really coming along!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ender 3 has the capability to print with excellent quality! Print quality is less about the printer you have and a lot more about the users knowledge. The slicing software I use is Cura, and the settings in that software is what determines your print quality. A lot of times people will bump up the speed and the layer height and decrease the infill density just to save on printing times, and this is where the quality is sacrificed. Right out of the box my printer worked great and there are tons of youtube videos on Cura settings that make for the best print possible.
What kind of filament do you use for things like RFGs?

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filament do you use for things like RFGs?
PLA is a corn based plastic that has some mixed reviews... Some people say they have had it in there tanks for years and other say it breaks down in the salt water... that what i use because i have it readily available super easy to print with...

I think ABS and PETG are probably a better option because they most likely wont degrade in water, however abs has some pretty complex printing requirements

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the dual nozzle from IM directly and I agree it looked too bulky and stuck way too far out into the tank. I broke it down all the way to just the split nozzle with no additional loc line so that I could direct the flow in two directions. Also, I think you asked about me using the Nero 3. I love it so far! Keep up all your good work. Build is really coming along!
Thats awesome! What percent power are you running it at ? Does it kick up sand or anything ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back