Weston's - Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 50 Lagoon

WestonNanos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Another build thread in less than 4 months. Lol, didnt expect to upgrade tanks for a while, but couldnt pass up the deal I got on this used tank. So I currently have running, a 14 gallon IM peninsula and I am going to transfer over all the rock corals and fish into this 50 gal.

Before I do that, I really want to take my time with cleaning the used tank and getting the insides of the stand exactly how I want it. Planning on doing somewhat of a DIY controller board so that you cant see a single wire. I also want to take my time with the NSA aquascape. I had some regrets with the 14 gal's scape and I want to get this one right from the start (Better fish habitat / better shelving for more optimal coral placement).

As far as equipment goes....
Lighting : Add a second AI prime.
Return Pump(s) : Mighty Jet 538 / Mighty jet 326 (One pump per nozzle)
Flow : 2x Nero 3's + returns
ATO: Ice Cap + 10 gal aqueon resevoir
Heater : BRS w/ inkbird controller
Skimmer : CAD LIGHTS PLS-50

Here is my current tank as it sits... 14 gal im peninsula
tank2.jpg
tank1.jpg

Here is the New tank when I first picked it up...
newtank1.jpg

Then after some cleaning!!
newtank2.jpg

Then after a bit of scapinig!!! Note... the other half of the tank will consist of the scape from the 14 gal. Also, will have a sandbed.
scape1.jpg
scape2.jpg

Then put some smart lights inside the stand...

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Still working on the stand, scape etc. One thing that I always hated about the IM's is the media baskets... First of all there is a lip that comes off of the back of the overflow and the media basket therefore needs to be small enough to fit in the chamber but is not big enough making it so that the flow is not directed well through the media. I hope I explained that well.... Im sure other IM people know what im talking about!

So my idea is to make my own. I drew up a filter cup on tinkercad that was small enough to fit between the back wall and the lip off of the overflow. Then once it fits down in there, I added a threaded hole where i can screw in a plastic bolt, thus keeping the front of the filter cup against the back of the over flow.

I have it on the printer currently, its about a 1 day and 4 hour print.

Here is a pic of my design. I added a mock bolt for reference, I know the threads are way off lol.

1642182828064.png

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Still working on the stand, scape etc. One thing that I always hated about the IM's is the media baskets... First of all there is a lip that comes off of the back of the overflow and the media basket therefore needs to be small enough to fit in the chamber but is not big enough making it so that the flow is not directed well through the media. I hope I explained that well.... Im sure other IM people know what im talking about!

So my idea is to make my own. I drew up a filter cup on tinkercad that was small enough to fit between the back wall and the lip off of the overflow. Then once it fits down in there, I added a threaded hole where i can screw in a plastic bolt, thus keeping the front of the filter cup against the back of the over flow.

I have it on the printer currently, its about a 1 day and 4 hour print.

Here is a pic of my design. I added a mock bolt for reference, I know the threads are way off lol.

1642182828064.png

I know exactly what you're talking about! Nice solution. On my 10g I store my coral feeder in the space between the media basket and the back wall to hold the media basket up against the overflow (it's the coral feeder holster). On the 50g I use a chunk of coarse filter sponge to keep the media basket and UV from being shoved back. Not nearly as elegant is this!

Fritz
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I know exactly what you're talking about! Nice solution. On my 10g I store my coral feeder in the space between the media basket and the back wall to hold the media basket up against the overflow (it's the coral feeder holster). On the 50g I use a chunk of coarse filter sponge to keep the media basket and UV from being shoved back. Not nearly as elegant is this!
Thankyou! I just wish there was no need for DIY intervention! I dont understand why they cant just use the tanks for themselves and recognize these small flaws ( I might just be nit picking but idk ....)

OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The 3d print went ... ok.... had some sketchy moments when the support was coming off of the build plate and I had to hold it with tape... but we made it!

Perfect fit, on the first try.... that's a first!

This should help direct the flow through the floss / media. tempImagebxxTLR.png

Attachments

• 8638C923-46F4-48B0-B1BB-60EDE777A3CB.mov
    69.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 5F84208C-9B6E-4240-83A8-D42387DC9731.mov
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 8638C923-46F4-48B0-B1BB-60EDE777A3CB.mov
    69.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 176 24.2%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 376 51.7%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 53 7.3%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
A Reef Creation