Weston's - Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 50 Lagoon

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another build thread in less than 4 months. Lol, didnt expect to upgrade tanks for a while, but couldnt pass up the deal I got on this used tank. So I currently have running, a 14 gallon IM peninsula and I am going to transfer over all the rock corals and fish into this 50 gal.

Before I do that, I really want to take my time with cleaning the used tank and getting the insides of the stand exactly how I want it. Planning on doing somewhat of a DIY controller board so that you cant see a single wire. I also want to take my time with the NSA aquascape. I had some regrets with the 14 gal's scape and I want to get this one right from the start (Better fish habitat / better shelving for more optimal coral placement).

As far as equipment goes....
Lighting : Add a second AI prime.
Return Pump(s) : Mighty Jet 538 / Mighty jet 326 (One pump per nozzle)
Flow : 2x Nero 3's + returns
ATO: Ice Cap + 10 gal aqueon resevoir
Heater : BRS w/ inkbird controller
Skimmer : CAD LIGHTS PLS-50

Here is my current tank as it sits... 14 gal im peninsula
tank2.jpg
tank1.jpg

Here is the New tank when I first picked it up...
newtank1.jpg

Then after some cleaning!!
newtank2.jpg

Then after a bit of scapinig!!! Note... the other half of the tank will consist of the scape from the 14 gal. Also, will have a sandbed.
scape1.jpg
scape2.jpg

Then put some smart lights inside the stand...

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on the stand, scape etc. One thing that I always hated about the IM's is the media baskets... First of all there is a lip that comes off of the back of the overflow and the media basket therefore needs to be small enough to fit in the chamber but is not big enough making it so that the flow is not directed well through the media. I hope I explained that well.... Im sure other IM people know what im talking about!

So my idea is to make my own. I drew up a filter cup on tinkercad that was small enough to fit between the back wall and the lip off of the overflow. Then once it fits down in there, I added a threaded hole where i can screw in a plastic bolt, thus keeping the front of the filter cup against the back of the over flow.

I have it on the printer currently, its about a 1 day and 4 hour print.

Here is a pic of my design. I added a mock bolt for reference, I know the threads are way off lol.

1642182828064.png

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on the stand, scape etc. One thing that I always hated about the IM's is the media baskets... First of all there is a lip that comes off of the back of the overflow and the media basket therefore needs to be small enough to fit in the chamber but is not big enough making it so that the flow is not directed well through the media. I hope I explained that well.... Im sure other IM people know what im talking about!

So my idea is to make my own. I drew up a filter cup on tinkercad that was small enough to fit between the back wall and the lip off of the overflow. Then once it fits down in there, I added a threaded hole where i can screw in a plastic bolt, thus keeping the front of the filter cup against the back of the over flow.

I have it on the printer currently, its about a 1 day and 4 hour print.

Here is a pic of my design. I added a mock bolt for reference, I know the threads are way off lol.

1642182828064.png

I know exactly what you're talking about! Nice solution. On my 10g I store my coral feeder in the space between the media basket and the back wall to hold the media basket up against the overflow (it's the coral feeder holster). On the 50g I use a chunk of coarse filter sponge to keep the media basket and UV from being shoved back. Not nearly as elegant is this!

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you're talking about! Nice solution. On my 10g I store my coral feeder in the space between the media basket and the back wall to hold the media basket up against the overflow (it's the coral feeder holster). On the 50g I use a chunk of coarse filter sponge to keep the media basket and UV from being shoved back. Not nearly as elegant is this!
Thankyou! I just wish there was no need for DIY intervention! I dont understand why they cant just use the tanks for themselves and recognize these small flaws ( I might just be nit picking but idk ....)

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3d print went ... ok.... had some sketchy moments when the support was coming off of the build plate and I had to hold it with tape... but we made it!

Perfect fit, on the first try.... that's a first!

This should help direct the flow through the floss / media. tempImagebxxTLR.png

Attachments

• 8638C923-46F4-48B0-B1BB-60EDE777A3CB.mov
    69.5 MB
  • 5F84208C-9B6E-4240-83A8-D42387DC9731.mov
    6.5 MB
  • 8638C923-46F4-48B0-B1BB-60EDE777A3CB.mov
    69.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! We have water!

Also I made some changes to the rock work and got my custom filter cup dialed in with some floss.

I added a nero 3 and I plan to get another one. Im not entirely sure how to position the powerheads to make the best flow....

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3d print went ... ok.... had some sketchy moments when the support was coming off of the build plate and I had to hold it with tape... but we made it!

Perfect fit, on the first try.... that's a first!

This should help direct the flow through the floss / media. tempImagebxxTLR.png
So you know that @Calm Blue Ocean and I both want a set of these now, right :)

I like what you did with the controller board. My IM 50 is old enough that it was before they included the shelf with the stand. Would have made adding the board so much easier. I really should order one and redo my cabinet.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you know that @Calm Blue Ocean and I both want a set of these now, right :)

I like what you did with the controller board. My IM 50 is old enough that it was before they included the shelf with the stand. Would have made adding the board so much easier. I really should order one and redo my cabinet.
Then you and @Calm Blue Ocean send me some shipping labels and Ill throw some on the printer, lol

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWB I ordered the cad lights skimmer from mode aquariums on Jan 21. The only thing that I have received as far as a confirmation of the order is through pay pal. I cant get ahold of the people by email or phone... Did you have a similar experience? I know most likely the skimmer is just going to show up to my place one of these days, but in the back of my mind I cant help but to think I may have got scammed. How did the process go for you?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWB I ordered the cad lights skimmer from mode aquariums on Jan 21. The only thing that I have received as far as a confirmation of the order is through pay pal. I cant get ahold of the people by email or phone... Did you have a similar experience? I know most likely the skimmer is just going to show up to my place one of these days, but in the back of my mind I cant help but to think I may have got scammed. How did the process go for you?
I’m sorry to hear of this. I was hoping that the change of ownership from Cadlights to Mode would improve their communication and customer service but it seems like it hasn’t. I dealt with them right before Cadlights went away and my experience was terrible, I won’t bore you with all the details, it’s all in my thread if you want the blow by blow. Bottom line is they sent me a broken skimmer and then ghosted me so I disputed with PayPal and ended up with a free skimmer that I had to fix. I did and it’s great. Since then I know of a few other people who have successfully bought the skimmer from Mode @Calm Blue Ocean, @Jaysushi off the top of my head, and from what I could tell the best bet to communicate with them is Facebook. I recently sent them an email through the contact tab on their website to inquire about getting a backup pump and they didn’t answer. I don’t have Facebook so I’ve not tried that yet, you might try if you have it. It’s the best skimmer for our tank and that company is the absolute worst at communicating. It’s like they are trying to be bad at it on purpose. I’m sure it will show up, everyone else’s did as far as I know, you’re just not going to know about it until it gets there. You won’t be sorry though, great skimmer.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear of this. I was hoping that the change of ownership from Cadlights to Mode would improve their communication and customer service but it seems like it hasn’t. I dealt with them right before Cadlights went away and my experience was terrible, I won’t bore you with all the details, it’s all in my thread if you want the blow by blow. Bottom line is they sent me a broken skimmer and then ghosted me so I disputed with PayPal and ended up with a free skimmer that I had to fix. I did and it’s great. Since then I know of a few other people who have successfully bought the skimmer from Mode @Calm Blue Ocean, @Jaysushi off the top of my head, and from what I could tell the best bet to communicate with them is Facebook. I recently sent them an email through the contact tab on their website to inquire about getting a backup pump and they didn’t answer. I don’t have Facebook so I’ve not tried that yet, you might try if you have it. It’s the best skimmer for our tank and that company is the absolute worst at communicating. It’s like they are trying to be bad at it on purpose. I’m sure it will show up, everyone else’s did as far as I know, you’re just not going to know about it until it gets there. You won’t be sorry though, great skimmer.
Good to know im not the only one! I dont have facebook either... Im not in a super rush as the tank is cycling with just one fish in it currently. So as long as I dont increase my bioload I should be fine to wait for it! Thanks for all of that helpful info

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WestonNanos The best thing that worked for me, if you have it, is to contact them through Facebook Messenger. I did the same by trying to email them and did not receive a reply back. I don't know if they receive their emails from the website or not lol. They seemed decently responsive over FB Messenger, though. It is an absolutely great skimmer when I used it. Unfortunately, my Nuvo 50 Lagoon has been torn down and sold. In the middle of tank shopping for a new build. I missed having an external sump and extra sump room, so the next tank is going to have one.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know im not the only one! I dont have facebook either... Im not in a super rush as the tank is cycling with just one fish in it currently. So as long as I dont increase my bioload I should be fine to wait for it! Thanks for all of that helpful info

I placed my order Sept 22 and received the skimmer Oct 6. I was able to reach them at [email protected] and did get a response where I simply asked if they had a tracking number because it still showed as "processing". That was Sept 28 and I heard from them on the 30th saying it was packed and ready to go and they'd send me a tracking number as soon as it went out. They never did send a tracking number.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the STL files for anyone that has a 3d printer. Ive really been loving these filter cups!

Note: The left and right overflows differ from one another. Also, print 2 of the bolts .

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend would also shoot me LOL, the performance is probably fantastic but my tank needs to be flush up against the wall.
Same here, I’m lucky I get to have the skimmer I’ve got because it does stick up pretty high. It’s unfortunate that the IM skimmer doesn’t work very well because you can’t beat the form factor, it’s practically invisible. The other thing about the HOB the scares me is the potential for leaks. My tank is on the second floor, and we have hardwood flooring, so we ruled out anything but an AIO out of concerns that if there was ever a plumbing leak we didn’t want to risk the floor damage. Everything has to be inside the tank.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back