Wet/Dry Sump setup for macro algae DT?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have some questions about Wet/dry sumps. Seems like no one like them to say the least lol... But would appreciate some advice to my particular situation.

This is going to be a peacock mantis shrimp tank, so he’ll be making a mess, crushing snails and crabs daily. The reason for the wet/dry sump is because I got a killer deal on a 60g clear for life acrylic tank with a Wet/Dry sump and am not hard pressed to replace it.

I will be adding about 80lbs of dry rock (Will be cycling soon) and 60 lbs of 50/50 sand and crushed coral.

Due to the dim lighting the mantis shrimp needs, I won’t be adding coral.

Here is my question:

I herd Bioballs are bad (says google lol). But “and there is always a but haha” I am not sure if this is because of just coral, wouldn’t this help me out due to the large bioload the shrimp will be making? Also I know my rocks will be doing the same thing once they are live, but isn’t redundancy a good thing? (I am new).

I am making it a macro algae DT, since putting in a Refugium isn’t going to work in the Wet/Dry and I like the way macro DT look. I am also starting a second tank for coral to get in that itch as well.

Should I skip the bioballs all together and just toss in some socks and a skimmer? Also would this make the sump ridiculously loud?

Here is the biggest newbie question I got lol so please take it easy, where dose the filter floss go on this thing? On top of the holes where the water drops in?

image.jpg 011564DB-1BFB-40CC-9E40-8171E293DCDB.jpeg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add bioballs if you wanted to. They'll do the same job as live rock, minus any nitrogen degassing due to anaerobic activity. I think the whole "nitrate factory" thing was debunked as "you have extra surface area therefore your nitrates are going to be higher since you're feeding more"....

I personally wouldn't bother getting bioballs, since those're expensive.

I'm very much in favor of adding a skimmer though. Those're great. Depending on the type/brand you get, it might get super loud, or just be an okay noise.

Socks vs balls, I'm more in favor of socks. They basically act as filter floss, and get rid of a lot of particulate matter in the tank.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the biggest newbie question I got lol so please take it easy, where dose the filter floss go on this thing? On top of the holes where the water drops in?

Yep, that's where the floss goes. There's supposed to be another part that has the hose connect and it goes on top of that like a cover and there's a screw that holds it in place. If you're missing that part (which a lot of old sumps are for some reason) you're going to have to rig something.

As long as you change out the floss every 3-5 days you shouldn't have any problem keeping nutrients in check.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add bioballs if you wanted to. They'll do the same job as live rock, minus any nitrogen degassing due to anaerobic activity. I think the whole "nitrate factory" thing was debunked as "you have extra surface area therefore your nitrates are going to be higher since you're feeding more"....

I personally wouldn't bother getting bioballs, since those're expensive.

I'm very much in favor of adding a skimmer though. Those're great. Depending on the type/brand you get, it might get super loud, or just be an okay noise.

Socks vs balls, I'm more in favor of socks. They basically act as filter floss, and get rid of a lot of particulate matter in the tank.

Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Yes I’ll be adding a skimmer no matter what route I take, and I’ll spend the money to ensure it’s quiet.

Do you think the filter socks will make the sump loud?
I just imagine a large drop into the sock making a ton of noise. Do you have experience with this?

Again thanks!

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's where the floss goes. There's supposed to be another part that has the hose connect and it goes on top of that like a cover and there's a screw that holds it in place. If you're missing that part (which a lot of old sumps are for some reason) you're going to have to rig something.

As long as you change out the floss every 3-5 days you shouldn't have any problem keeping nutrients in check.

Thanks!!!!! I truly appreciate it. Was looking at this thing like, “if I put the floss there, is it going to flood everything” lol. You have put my mind at ease.

No I have the part, I took it off for a good picture of the holes.

Every 3 days is a lot no?
is there a more efficient product?

Thanks again!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Yes I’ll be adding a skimmer no matter what route I take, and I’ll spend the money to ensure it’s quiet.

Do you think the filter socks will make the sump loud?
I just imagine a large drop into the sock making a ton of noise. Do you have experience with this?

Again thanks!
I used a modified wet dry for years and used filter socks. Use the below to extend the pipes to just below the water line. Worked great.

This coupled with a short piece of pipe will get the drain right below the water line to quiet things up.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a modified wet dry for years and used filter socks. Use the below to extend the pipes to just below the water line. Worked great.

This coupled with a short piece of pipe will get the drain right below the water line to quiet things up.

Thanks!! This is something that was never a thought but makes total sense, now I am really leaning towards the filter socks!

Should I keep the cap on see the photo? Or ditch it and do the mod?

How often did you replace your socks?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also forgot to ask, I alway see people splitting the pipe in two, to add two filter socks. Why not just go with one, am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to ask, I alway see people splitting the pipe in two, to add two filter socks. Why not just go with one, am I missing something?

Thanks again!
You can split into 2, it allows for the socks to not clog so quickly. Keeps the tray also. Helps with any splashing.

As for how long to change, every 3-4 days. I was running a single 4” sock though. Helps to get the detritus out before it break down to ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can split into 2, it allows for the socks to not clog so quickly. Keeps the tray also. Helps with any splashing.

As for how long to change, every 3-4 days. I was running a single 4” sock though. Helps to get the detritus out before it break down to ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Thanks!!!! I have already started the plumbing. I’ll be running one, since my sump isn’t very big. I can use the extra room.

Even with the pipe extender into the sock and pass the water line you still got splash?

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision on the filter socks and how to set it up.

Here is the end result, now just waiting on the socks and mount.

And yes the glue got away from me!!!!! rofl

image.jpg image.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back