Wet wizardry: Do you send your water to a lab for analysis?

Do you send your water to a lab for analysis?

• Yes, I regularly send my water to a lab for analysis.

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Yes, I occasionally send my water to a lab for analysis.

Votes: 70 17.5%
  • Yes, I very rarely send my water to a lab for analysis.

Votes: 57 14.3%
  • No, I test my own water but have never sent it to a lab for analysis.

Votes: 206 51.5%
  • No, I do not test my water.

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters

kian.aeineh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Unfortunately, I did not research that there is a place where I can give my aquarium water for analysis. There are fish sellers who take a test with a kit like me, so I take the same test myself

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the ICP and N Doc every 3 months. Gives me piece of mind that I am on the right track. I also really like the recommended trace elements that are needed and how much to dose. My tank and sump is 250 gallons.
Great topic Thank You

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally send my water in for ICP testing. I do my home tests and then I take samples right away for ICP testing. Whn I get the results back I compare the two to see how closely my tests match. Usually it's pretty close.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started Reef Moonshiners I have been pretty regularly sending out my triton tests. Perhaps less frequently than the program would like, but my levels have been stable so I haven't been doing it every 2 weeks or whatever.

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just collected my first samples for the ATI ICP test and mailed them off today. Looking forward to see what the analytical results are when they come back. I’ll probably send samples in every six months or so.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent 2 samples out from 2 tanks to the same lab. They also test rodi as part of the kit. I sent rodi samples from the same container and got totally different results. That destroyed my confidence in lab testing so I won't be wasting the money again.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be sending my first ICP test to validate a year plus experiment. Plan is to send one every four weeks to monitor trace and likely make adjustments to dosing vs constant checking which might result in constant fiddling. big believer in taking it slow and just leaving it alone. Other than monitoring ph and alkalinity. Been going without WCs since the 80s. Therefore salinity not as big of a concern and will be using AFR based on calcium. Still trying to resolve what additive to raise alkalinity as needed that won't affect other parameters other than ph. Will then dose trace as needed similar to moonshiner method. These lab test indispensable in that regard. We can finally know relatively close to what's missing or in excess and focus on those needs vs blanket WC and possible changes that will just create other side affects. Have known about the value of trace since the 80s. Clueless then how exactly to maintain then, however.

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I do my own tests every 2-3 weeks but also icps roughly every 3 months.
I learned the hard way about chasing numbers and overthinking so now I casually test just to make sure my main perimeters are good then cross check with an ICP every so often.

I don't often find anything is out of whack and watch my corals closely because they will also tell you when something isn't right.

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I conduct icp testing once or twice a year unless I am having problems with my tank that I cannot figure out ( this rarely happens). That said, I do test alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate and salinity weekly and track pH continuously. I also test magnesium and calcium monthly though I rarely see changes in those parameters. I am comfortable without ICP testing and don’t think it is necessary for the vast majority of reefers.

Darren

Darren

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent mine in last month and the results were posted but I haven't had time to look at them to find out what I don't know is wrong with my tank, yet. I'm taking vacation tomorrow but I'll be driving all day and won't be back until Sunday and Maybe Monday I'll take a peek at the results. :D

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done icp testing once per year and just had ati test results. I don’t/haven’t done water changes regularly till these results came back. My tank has been running ok, but nitrates in the 70’s and phosphate at.50 ,so I’m really concerned and am following ati recommendation of 3x 20% water changes in a week at first and have added trace elements (strontium,fluorine, and others) that were deficient.It’s been a couple weeks now and all’s well so far. I’m not testing much myself but I think I will send in another sample soon to see what I need going forward with dosing ect. I am definitely going to be doing water changes weekly from now on.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some DNA test or something on my 13 gallon a long time ago when 2 of my fish died. Then was told it was a waste of money.

See attachment for what they send me for luls and rofls.

Attachments

• Tank_DNA.pdf
    254.6 KB · Views: 34

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered one. Tank looking rough out of blue and not sure why.nitrates pretty low but otherwise no clue. Thinking maybe my algae scrubber is sucking up iodine or iron or something that i cant test for.

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid for an ATI icp once.
filled the vials and sent it to the address supplied and never got the results or a refund. They blamed brexit at the time.
totally unprofessional.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I only test what i dose.

2. If i start ICP, am afraid it will get me paranoid and i will start dosing whole lot of elements and may not be able to keep up with manual testing which i do not want to give up.

So far i am happy with AWC and weekly tests. If something is really off, am sure it will manifest

Thanks

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to send one in. Corals looking a little rough and im thinking my iodine is low from my scrubber. Not gonna dose until i see what this scrubber is chuggin

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever sent off an ICP the once I think so far when I was having some issues during my first year of reef keeping.
It was interesting to do it, but I'm not entirely sure how helpful it was to me.
Had me worrying about numbers and what not of weird chemical things which may or may not have had anything to do with my issues at the time.

I'd still use it again if I needed to, sometimes I think can be handy to deep dive your results, but for the most part testing normal is plenty.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back