What’re these bumps on new zoa?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple polyps of gobstopper zoas on Friday at LFS. He fragged it and let it cure to the plug for about 15 min before I headed home. Floated them for 25min and then 7 min bayer dip. One polyp opened up within 8 hrs but the second has yet to open up. There’s these little red/pink bumps on both polyps, I never saw them before, either I missed it or they’re just forming. All other zoas appear good. Anyone have an idea what it is?

9FDB62A6-8A65-42CB-9FF4-966B02B1FA6B.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you blow them off? Could just be reef dust
I haven’t tried. They look like zoa pox except pinkish. I’ll try in just a few minutes and check back.
Edit - just tried with a turkey baster and nothing happened. Also tried lightly scraping with long tweezers and nothing as well.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried. They look like zoa pox except pinkish. I’ll try in just a few minutes and check back.
Edit - just tried with a turkey baster and nothing happened. Also tried lightly scraping with long tweezers and nothing as well.
Hmm okay so that rules out dirt, flatworms, nudis, and spiders cause they would all come off with the scraping. If that second polyp doesn’t open within a week then I’d do an H2O2 and iodine dip to see if that gets rid of the dots and helps the second one open

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm okay so that rules out dirt, flatworms, nudis, and spiders cause they would all come off with the scraping. If that second polyp doesn’t open within a week then I’d do an H2O2 and iodine dip to see if that gets rid of the dots and helps the second one open
What iodine dip would you recommend and is 3% H202 good or do I need 6%. How much should I dilute them? Sorry for so many questions I’ve never dipped in anything other then bayer.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What iodine dip would you recommend and is 3% H202 good or do I need 6%. How much should I dilute them? Sorry for so many questions I’ve never dipped in anything other then bayer.
No problem! There’s a very extensive dip thread somewhere-I’ll find it for you. I use lugol’s for iodine. 3% H2O2 from Walgreens at a 1:1 ratio with tank water for 1-3 minutes. 3 minutes for super tough algae like bryopsis and 1 minute for some weak film algae. Just do the dip and put it right back in the tank no need o rinse

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I’ll have to purchase some lugols. Thank you for the help! I’ll update if they go away with or without the dip!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal This isn't really related to the post but I don't want to start a whole new thread and I see a lot of people always tag you about zoas so you must be a pro with them
I ordered some corals and it took 5 days to get here, I got them yesterday. Most of them were dead or dying except my zoas. One has some brown jelly and the rest are okay except for some mucus/shedding. Would it be smart or dumb to give them a H202 and iodine dip on Friday when I dip the other zoa?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal This isn't really related to the post but I don't want to start a whole new thread and I see a lot of people always tag you about zoas so you must be a pro with them
I ordered some corals and it took 5 days to get here, I got them yesterday. Most of them were dead or dying except my zoas. One has some brown jelly and the rest are okay except for some mucus/shedding. Would it be smart or dumb to give them a H202 and iodine dip on Friday when I dip the other zoa?
Definitely do not do the H2O2 dip. That dip works by killing anything exposed to it. Corals (healthy ones anyway) have a natural slime coat that protects them while algae does not. Thus, the H2O2 kills the algae on contact while only destroying the slime coat of the coral. That’s why it takes 3-7 days for the zoa to reopen after the dip, it’s regenerating the slime coat. Since these zoas are obviously going to be very stressed, I wouldn’t dip them with H2O2 but an iodine dip may help aid their recovery

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do not do the H2O2 dip. That dip works by killing anything exposed to it. Corals (healthy ones anyway) have a natural slime coat that protects them while algae does not. Thus, the H2O2 kills the algae on contact while only destroying the slime coat of the coral. That’s why it takes 3-7 days for the zoa to reopen after the dip, it’s regenerating the slime coat. Since these zoas are obviously going to be very stressed, I wouldn’t dip them with H2O2 but an iodine dip may help aid their recovery
Okay great, thank you for the answer. I will do that then if their condition does not improve. And one more question if you don't mind. I have a small frag of some AOI zoas that has some GHA growing on it. Should I let it take care of itself? I haven't interfered much in my tank and all other GHA is slowly dying off with my parameters and aided by CUC. All the polyps are healthy and open but I can tell its starting to get a little longer. Here is a picture and excuse the mess, they were fed some Reef Roids just a bit ago lol.
74260.jpg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great, thank you for the answer. I will do that then if their condition does not improve. And one more question if you don't mind. I have a small frag of some AOI zoas that has some GHA growing on it. Should I let it take care of itself? I haven't interfered much in my tank and all other GHA is slowly dying off with my parameters and aided by CUC. All the polyps are healthy and open but I can tell its starting to get a little longer. Here is a picture and excuse the mess, they were fed some Reef Roids just a bit ago lol.
74260.jpg
I would gently scrub the plug (not the zoas) with a tootbrush and pick off as much GHA as possible using a pair of tweezers if there’s any between the actual polyps. The problem doesn’t look that bad and if you take care of it now you won’t have a problem later with the GHA choking out the zoas

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gently scrub the plug (not the zoas) with a tootbrush and pick off as much GHA as possible using a pair of tweezers if there’s any between the actual polyps. The problem doesn’t look that bad and if you take care of it now you won’t have a problem later with the GHA choking out the zoas
Okay wonderful, thank you so much for all the advice!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone has the same problem. I did a 6 min hydrogen peroxide dip (1:1 ratio with tank water) and a iodine dip (4 drops of 2% in 1 cup of tank water). The dots have disappeared. The one that has been closed up looks like it won’t make it and the one that was good is quite PO but I think he’ll be fine.

Attachments

• 52A78903-BF2C-4AC4-95EE-CEDD9448AD23.jpeg
    52A78903-BF2C-4AC4-95EE-CEDD9448AD23.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 19

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back