What’s a reasonable price per head for torch corals?

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around this time of year I usually go on a coral haul and I wanted some new torch colonies or single head torches for that matter? As you all know prices on coral have skyrocketed with people dropping $600* per head on some torch corals…I want to know what you all think is reasonable price wise for torches. Any type, indo, Aussie, rare, regular etc. Prices online and from Instagram vendors are ridiculous, it’s hard to find good deals at stores nowadays, and local hobbyists for some reason are now trying to price their corals at store or online prices so that’s also getting out of hand. A lot of people are also now scalping corals by hogging up all the reasonable priced corals from hobbyist then re selling them online which makes it even that much harder to a good deal. I’m looking to buy LPS corals in bulk at reasonable prices, help me out! Please & Thx

F52AD7C2-659F-4504-8579-F28082FDCEE9.jpeg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210813133514.jpg

I picked up this 2 headed joker torch about a month ago for 160. A single head Frogspawn for 75 and another 2 headed torch for 75.

I've seen them priced locally (Ohio) for 30-100+ per head depending on the variety.

Online I haven't really seen any good deals, but I've seen a few locally. Not sure how your area is but that's been my experience lately when picking up a few pieces.

OP
OP
RedSeaReefer1

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see…
20210813133514.jpg

I picked up this 2 headed joker torch about a month ago for 160. A single head Frogspawn for 75 and another 2 headed torch for 75.

I've seen them priced locally (Ohio) for 30-100+ per head depending on the variety.

Online I haven't really seen any good deals, but I've seen a few locally. Not sure how your area is but that's been my experience lately when picking up a few pieces.
I see…saw a 5 head torch coral colony with the head price around $40 a head…I guess that’s not too bad huh? Thx for the input

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny is that it seems the most expensive torches are also the ones in the highest supply these days.

OP
OP
RedSeaReefer1

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny is that it seems the most expensive torches are also the ones in the highest supply these days.
Yep but people still buying them! I see it all the time! I won’t say any names but I see vendors on Instagram going live and doing sales/auctions and people seriously pay $400-600 per head on these *****

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’d pay more than $75 for a single head of just an average green indo torch, and for $75 it’d have to be super healthy and fat. I saw a surprisingly healthy looking brownish torch at Petco the other week for $25 (they had a bubble coral for the same price that I picked up). There are a lot of good deals to be had at LFS this time of year, summer is always super slow for them, so it doesn’t hurt to try and haggle, a few days ago I got around 20 heads of a blue and red Micromussa amakusensis for $50 (they were originally priced at $30 a head), and then I got a different one with around 6 heads for $10. The point being, it doesn’t hurt to ask for deals, especially on pieces that you’ve noticed have been there for a while. Also, keep an on your areas reef keeping Facebook pages, I find amazing deals on mine all the time. Yes, there are people who try to price stuff outrageously, but there are just as many that are selling stuff at crazy deals, you just have to keep an eye on the pages and be quick.

RedG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around this time of year I usually go on a coral haul and I wanted some new torch colonies or single head torches for that matter? As you all know prices on coral have skyrocketed with people dropping $600* per head on some torch corals…I want to know what you all think is reasonable price wise for torches. Any type, indo, Aussie, rare, regular etc. Prices online and from Instagram vendors are ridiculous, it’s hard to find good deals at stores nowadays, and local hobbyists for some reason are now trying to price their corals at store or online prices so that’s also getting out of hand. A lot of people are also now scalping corals by hogging up all the reasonable priced corals from hobbyist then re selling them online which makes it even that much harder to a good deal. I’m looking to buy LPS corals in bulk at reasonable prices, help me out! Please & Thx

Turkey Wing mollusk.jpg
Have you checked Beverly’s LFS in Pembroke? Don’t know how they are priced on corals since I’m new to SW, but they have a great selection. It might be worth checking out if you haven’t already.

OP
OP
RedSeaReefer1

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked Beverly’s LFS in Pembroke? Don’t know how they are priced on corals since I’m new to SW, but they have a great selection. It might be worth checking out if you haven’t already.
Beverly’s actually isn’t bad sometimes…

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

F52AD7C2-659F-4504-8579-F28082FDCEE9.jpeg
I don’t pay more than 200$ for a head normally. Most in the 100-150 range. Sadly my source isn’t close to you. We talking whether retail. If I go wholesale I’ll pay 25-80$ for the whole plug could be 3-4 heads or splitting

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$20 tops. It's a torch. The vast majority won't hold their colors and only look the way they do under the old blue LED special. The second you put real light over them, you'll see it's the same torch we've had for 20 years.

Not to mention torches are drama queens and will brown jelly just for fun whenever they want

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$20 tops. It's a torch. The vast majority won't hold their colors and only look the way they do under the old blue LED special. The second you put real light over them, you'll see it's the same torch we've had for 20 years.

Not to mention torches are drama queens and will brown jelly just for fun whenever they want
To each his own but that's a bit like saying "all acros look the same if you put them under REAL nitrate and phosphate values"

I have seen stunning torches under white light that were anything but green

If they were all the same you could turn any torch into those colors with a but of led magic but you can't

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t purchased any torches in years, why? Because I’m not cool enough, or dumb enough to spend that kinda money.

last one I bought was a purple two headed torch for $75, about 3yrs ago.

sucker born everyday

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210806_202442.jpg

I bought this from a LFS where they sell for 40 a a head.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back