What’s a reasonable price per head for torch corals?

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like wayyyyy tooo much!! How are those prices even possible?

General rate is $5 per head normal green, $15for purple, $20-$35 for gold/rasta etc

Got my rasta for $35 got a fluro green for $20 and got about a 7 head purple for $30

Sorry poor photos dont have any recents now that i know how to take better ones ;)

20210904_201822.jpg
20210828_212612.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like wayyyyy tooo much!! How are those prices even possible?

General rate is $5 per head normal green, $15for purple, $20-$35 for gold/rasta etc

Got my rasta for $35 got a fluro green for $20 and got about a 7 head purple for $30

Sorry poor photos dont have any recents now that i know how to take better ones ;)

20210904_201822.jpg
20210828_212612.jpg
Where are you getting your torches?! They run 60 per head at my place!!

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting your torches?! They run 60 per head at my place!!
Now i feel bad, this is in aussie land, a wholesaler on the west coast. Him and his mate collect from the ocean out her ;)

Im kinda lucky otherwise id be so broke with all the coral i have :s

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go for about $100 a head around me. Considering WWC is in my backyard everyone else goes right along with the price gouging. Plenty of buyers though so as long as there are fools... I mean buyers why lower prices? Guess that's why I buy all of my coral online.. No different for fish. If one store has it for $100 everyone else will even though it's $30 online. Because of the pandemic there has been a huge surge of newbies who just don't research enough and "get got"...

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like zoas these days, all about cost and demand.
Ive noticed its the naming corals non scientific names or there colors and instead giving them some crazy name that most of the time doesnt make sense haha. Ive noticed australia is heading down that path a little. We are sheep anyway and usseally follow the US trends lol

I dont support it, all my corals are generic no named stuff and they still look just as good in my eyes!

Its like acro you can get a frag of walt disney for $500 sure it looks great but i can get a colony thats looks just as good if not better for $90 tops!

Just why, corals have seasons, why rip someone off out of season. I mean more in terms of weather and location limits time of year etc

Anyway sorfy that turned into a rant and a half lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like acro you can get a frag of walt disney for $500 sure it looks great but i can get a colony thats looks just as good if not better for $90 tops!
I totally agree. I generally go for cheaper corals that look just as nice. I don’t go crazy looking for expensive colors, I just like the look of a full and busy reef.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To each his own but that's a bit like saying "all acros look the same if you put them under REAL nitrate and phosphate values"

I have seen stunning torches under white light that were anything but green

If they were all the same you could turn any torch into those colors with a but of led magic but you can't
No, it's not the same. Most acros are reflective colors and not fluorescent. Torches fluoresce under blue light.

There are more than just green torches out there.

I had a buddy bring me a bunch of coral when he tore his tank down. He tried selling the system as a whole but no one bit. While trying to sell he did have someone want to buy his torch. Guy offered him a decent amount for it but it made my buddy pause. He asked me why he only wanted the torch and was willing to pay that amount. So I did some searching and found a couple sellers had this torch under a designer name. It was selling for $125 a head. The colony he brought me had 10 heads on it. No wonder the guy wanted it. My buddy had no idea what he "had" since it was just a torch when he bought it a couple years earlier for $40.

The torch is now in my tank and under my blue plus T5s, it absolutely is the blue tipped leprechaun snot (whatever they are calling it today for the sales.) When my halides kick on, it's the same torch we've had around the hobby since 2006 when I got my first torch.

Coloring acros takes true talent and a full understanding of what you're doing. 99% of LPS can look awesome when you throw them under blue.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve paid $80 for 2.5 heads of a green blue tipped torch, $90 for a Rasta and $160 for 2 heads of a indo gold torch. These $500+ single heads can get a little silly and over $1000 means you have to much disposable income if you’re buying that.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard Indo Gold torch goes for $150 a head in pretty much all 4-5 Houston LFS I have been too. The prices usually go up from there. No one really sells the generic green and brown stuff around here

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking aussie, Malaysian, or indo. Then basic colors verse none basic. Then we talking mouth color.
I’m going to run a experiment in my tank to induce spawning and see if I can get some of my creative colored ones to spawn together and generate some weird hyper color ones lol.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's not the same. Most acros are reflective colors and not fluorescent. Torches fluoresce under blue light.

There are more than just green torches out there.

I had a buddy bring me a bunch of coral when he tore his tank down. He tried selling the system as a whole but no one bit. While trying to sell he did have someone want to buy his torch. Guy offered him a decent amount for it but it made my buddy pause. He asked me why he only wanted the torch and was willing to pay that amount. So I did some searching and found a couple sellers had this torch under a designer name. It was selling for $125 a head. The colony he brought me had 10 heads on it. No wonder the guy wanted it. My buddy had no idea what he "had" since it was just a torch when he bought it a couple years earlier for $40.

The torch is now in my tank and under my blue plus T5s, it absolutely is the blue tipped leprechaun snot (whatever they are calling it today for the sales.) When my halides kick on, it's the same torch we've had around the hobby since 2006 when I got my first torch.

Coloring acros takes true talent and a full understanding of what you're doing. 99% of LPS can look awesome when you throw them under blue.
I thought this was about the animals and not talent. If you don't mind, tell me where I can get one of these regular old torches then that will shine banana yellow under midday white light for someone as talentless as me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back