What’s coming out from my zoa

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is it good or bad. Not trying to have something grow that night over take my tank.

0C4DD0C4-980E-44D2-941A-B3211DDBB4EC.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
100% Bryopsis. currently dealing with it in my tank with a dolabella au. sea hare. highly suggest getting one, or if your tank is big enough probably a species of tang can take care of it for you!

edit: if it is ONLY on that frag, i suggest taking it out and doing a peroxide dip on the plug itself. or moving the frag to a new plug.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah purge it while you can, rip it off the frag (outside of the tank!) then kill it and any remains with fire peroxide dip (1 or 2 minutes in peroxide diluted to 1% or so for a start)

OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s happy with new environment and wants to reproduce heavily in your tank
**** that on my next days off gonna try and tweeze it away from it since I have that already glued down and hope it works and if not probably dip the frag. Just don’t know what to dip it in yet. I’ve tweezed it off of one so far and haven’t seen it come back.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
**** that on my next days off gonna try and tweeze it away from it since I have that already glued down and hope it works and if not probably dip the frag. Just don’t know what to dip it in yet. I’ve tweezed it off of one so far and haven’t seen it come back.
your best bet it to remove the frag and do that outside the tank. anything you do inside can possibly make it spread

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip the fragplug off the rock. The effort of doing that and regluing is nothing compared to the fun that might be waiting for you otherwise.

Pulling it off in the tank risks loosing tiny pieces in your tank, contaminating everything

OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Bryopsis. currently dealing with it in my tank with a dolabella au. sea hare. highly suggest getting one, or if your tank is big enough probably a species of tang can take care of it for you!

edit: if it is ONLY on that frag, i suggest taking it out and doing a peroxide dip on the plug itself. or moving the frag to a new plug.
How long in peroxide and what ratio and everything?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use a syringe to be more accurate. i would use straight peroxide. if you’re concerned for the zoa you can dilute it. 1capful per 1cup of tank water
I don't think even zoas appreciate straight peroxide, I do ~1% diluted with tank water for 1 to 2 minutes and repeat after a few days if necessary

Even managed to get rid of the bad kind of colonial hydroids that way

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think even zoas appreciate straight peroxide, I do ~1% diluted with tank water for 1 to 2 minutes and repeat after a few days if necessary

Even managed to get rid of the bad kind of colonial hydroids that way
i’ve done straight peroxide with no issues. to each their own!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back