What’s covering my coral?

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change and when I woke up this morning one of my corals had a white film over part of it. I dipped it in coral rx and it seems to be doing better. The film blew off in the dip but the part of the coral that was under it didn’t look good. Any help identifying what’s going on would be appreciated, thanks.

21288F5B-8D45-4C14-9AC5-2B2302886C9B.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did a water change and when I woke up this morning one of my corals had a white film over part of it. I dipped it in coral rx and it seems to be doing better. The film blew off in the dip but the part of the coral that was under it didn’t look good. Any help identifying what’s going on would be appreciated, thanks.

21288F5B-8D45-4C14-9AC5-2B2302886C9B.jpeg
Its a nuisance algae known as derbesia. The first thing you want to do is reduce your white light intensity and even the number of hours your white light is on.
This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN @!!3
After you are done return rock to tank and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume this but not as fast as this algae can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

OP
OP
A

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a nuisance algae known as derbesia. The first thing you want to do is reduce your white light intensity and even the number of hours your white light is on.
This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN @!!3
After you are done return rock to tank and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume this but not as fast as this algae can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae
Thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to do some of that stuff to help get rid of the gha. I’m more concerned about the white stuff covering the coral, Ik the gha is a problem rn and I’ve been working on it to get it under control but it’s a bit of a process, as you pointed out.

I’d really like to know if this is a disease and if so what kind, ie bacterial, fungal, viral, so I can treat it. It doesn’t seem to be contagious as of now. The head that was under the white film looks like it’s melting and it turned brownish but nothing is coming off of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 31

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to do some of that stuff to help get rid of the gha. I’m more concerned about the white stuff covering the coral, Ik the gha is a problem rn and I’ve been working on it to get it under control but it’s a bit of a process, as you pointed out.

I’d really like to know if this is a disease and if so what kind, ie bacterial, fungal, viral, so I can treat it. It doesn’t seem to be contagious as of now. The head that was under the white film looks like it’s melting and it turned brownish but nothing is coming off of it.
Now I see it. Looks like what is known as Crysophytes and along with algae can be scrubbed off with a firm toothbrush or automotive detail brush and even some 3% peroxide and then return to the tank. Ninja star snails will keep this stuff controlled.
Is your tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
A

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I see it. Looks like what is known as Crysophytes and along with algae can be scrubbed off with a firm toothbrush or automotive detail brush and even some 3% peroxide and then return to the tank. Ninja star snails will keep this stuff controlled.
So it’s a type of algae? Why’d it grow only directly on the flesh of that coral? The tank is in the furthest corner from the window (15-20ft) and there’s a blackout curtain over the window that’s occasionally cracked when a dog looks out the window. Ironically the tank I have next to the window exploded in Dino then copepods bred into an absolute army and now it’s doin great.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So it’s a type of algae? Why’d it grow only directly on the flesh of that coral? The tank is in the furthest corner from the window (15-20ft) and there’s a blackout curtain over the window that’s occasionally cracked when a dog looks out the window. Ironically the tank I have next to the window exploded in Dino then copepods bred into an absolute army and now it’s doin great.
Often its fueled by UV why I suspected nearby window.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back