what’s going on with my tuxedo urchin?

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitr-ITES are bad, Nitr-ATES are good (unless they are in the stupid high numbers). Ammonia and Nitrites should not be present at all after the cycling phase is over, the bacteria should be able to keep up. Salinity swings of .02 in 24 hours usually aren't deadly BUT in the case of urchins who are ultra sensitive to those kinds of swings, it can be. They are very similar to starfish in that they don't tolerate parameter changes well at all and small changes can kill them.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did as you suggested last night and today he looks much better. He has moved off the sand bed towards the rocks and his spines are up.
Glad to hear - hope he’s on the path to mend. In my last reef setup (with less algae), I typically threw a small flat rock rubber-banded with seaweed a few times a week to ensure they always had something to snack on.

OP
OP
Just started reefing

Just started reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear - hope he’s on the path to mend. In my last reef setup (with less algae), I typically threw a small flat rock rubber-banded with seaweed a few times a week to ensure they always had something to snack on.
It saddens me to say we list Spike last night. Next time I’ll know to be a lot slower when changing parameters

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back