What’s going on with yellow coris wrasse?

OP
OP
A

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bummer. I'm sorry for you and your fishy, Alyssa! I've had this happen to a few wrasses in the last year and it's so hard to watch, especially since they still seem to have interest in eating. In 2 of 3 cases, I ended up having to euthanize the wrasse. The 3rd went on his own but it was heartbreaking. The videos you posted look very similar to the way my wrasses were behaving as well.
I'm no expert but judging from the videos and the behavior you described, I would guess it's the mysterious neurological disease people are seeing in their wrasses.
I hope he manages to get better though!!
It is very sad, thanks for your kind words. At what point did you decide to euthanize? Did they ever seem to straighten out their swimming?
This was it today: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uEri8yz5GL1hctKZ6
Not sure if it’s looking better today or I’m just hopelessly optimistic at this point…

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very sad, thanks for your kind words. At what point did you decide to euthanize? Did they ever seem to straighten out their swimming?
Not sure if it’s looking better today or I’m just hopelessly optimistic at this point…
It certainly doesn't look worse! I'd let this play out and see what happens.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my case, they ended up getting worse but it took a couple of weeks... different lengths of time for each one. In the case of the one who lasted the longest, it was probably 3 weeks to maybe a month. My husband, who has no interest in my fish, took it upon himself to even start hand-feeding the poor guy but in the end, he just became completely unable to swim. In hindsight, I probably waited longer than I should have to help him go peacefully.
I hope that it's not the same thing in your case! The video did seem like he was a little better today so maybe he will recover. If he's still catching and eating food, that's good news, IMO.

OP
OP
A

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, they ended up getting worse but it took a couple of weeks... different lengths of time for each one. In the case of the one who lasted the longest, it was probably 3 weeks to maybe a month. My husband, who has no interest in my fish, took it upon himself to even start hand-feeding the poor guy but in the end, he just became completely unable to swim. In hindsight, I probably waited longer than I should have to help him go peacefully.
I hope that it's not the same thing in your case! The video did seem like he was a little better today so maybe he will recover. If he's still catching and eating food, that's good news, IMO.
Thanks for sharing. I hope he recovers as well, but know I can’t get too attached to these critters either *sigh*

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input, did you happen to see the videos from today?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uEri8yz5GL1hctKZ6

Not sure if it’s looking better today or if I’m hopelessly optimistic… at this point I’m wondering at what point I should do the hard but humane thing

Just now saw the video. Looks much better to me. No fixed curve in his spine and swimming in normal orientation almost always. He is very irritated by what ever is stuck in his mouth. Looks like he tried to scrap it off a time or two. Is he eating at all?

OP
OP
A

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post a short video, and let me know if it is still feeding today, I should be able to make a good judgement if this is the wrasse neurological disease or not. It does sound like it so far though.....

Jay
If anyone is still following this thread, here’s another update… today it was still swimming off/wonky, but really straightened out/seemed “fine” while eating… not sure what to think anymore

OP
OP
A

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just now saw the video. Looks much better to me. No fixed curve in his spine and swimming in normal orientation almost always. He is very irritated by what ever is stuck in his mouth. Looks like he tried to scrap it off a time or two. Is he eating at all?
Yep- he still seems to have a ravenous appetite. Seems to still be swimming wonky, but seems to straighten out while eating:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is still following this thread, here’s another update… today it was still swimming off/wonky, but really straightened out/seemed “fine” while eating… not sure what to think anymore

I still see some evidence of the neurological issue in the second video. To help rule out bloat, be sure the fish doesn't have a chance to feed from the surface and accidentally swallow air - that can make them swim odd until they pass it.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back