What’s happening to my burning banana?

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the nearest corals and types and what direction is your flow in that area.?
Some of those night time feeder/sweeper are can go really far if the flow is taking it like the wind. I've had a frogspawn throw out a 10inch one because it got caught in front of a power head and kept going. I had to look around 2AM to see it.

OP
OP
Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few but U would imagine the OP would have seen earlier signs unless a new coral was just added
I did add a few acros out of a friends tank that were all dipped and had zero signs of anything after inspection. Also his tank has never had any issues from pests. And that would be a very random acro to attack because its far from the new frags and there are nice acro colonies near the new frags with no damage.

OP
OP
Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the nearest corals and types and what direction is your flow in that area.?
Some of those night time feeder/sweeper are can go really far if the flow is taking it like the wind. I've had a frogspawn throw out a 10inch one because it got caught in front of a power head and kept going. I had to look around 2AM to see it.
Hm, the closest coral is a favia about 4" away but its on the complete opposite side, so it wouldnt be likely that that was the area affected. Theres a duncan pretty far away maybe 10" and it has a lot of flow on it. Theres a lepthastrea maybe 5". Nothing that would add up to that. My harlequin shrimp has been walking all over lately and trying to swim up the walls so maybe he clawed at it by accident while moving around? No clue..

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a lower light light coral, so maybe the added t5s? But only an hour i am not sure. And ime bleaching like that is a few days process, not hours... any soft corals or euphylia near it? Will tag @DSC reef also hes better at corals [emoji23]
This could be spot on. Put the coral in a more shaded area and see if it recovers. This coral likes lower light and lower flow.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for monti eating nudis. But, they are light sensitive and will not polyp extend in weird fashion. But, they bounce back quick. Low flow, low light piece.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a bug, it’ll continue to recede. If it’s light, I would be too concerned. It’ll stop receding and start growing.

OP
OP
Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for monti eating nudis. But, they are light sensitive and will not polyp extend in weird fashion. But, they bounce back quick. Low flow, low light piece.
Do you think a monti eating nudi would target the stylo over my other montis? After checking last night I moved the frag and broke the dead pieces off. It was on the glass and the encrusted part was extremely brittle and not sticking to the glass well. Im thinking what happened is that an edge somehow got lifted up then the flow was slowly killing it back. Im not positive but thats what Im thinking.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Burning banana ? Got one !!!!!! ( I wish)

Banana_02.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right in the center of the edge with the die off... What is the bright white thing? Vermatid snail perhaps? Mucous nets can be irritating sometimes. It could be something else. Has it stopped?

OP
OP
Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right in the center of the edge with the die off... What is the bright white thing? Vermatid snail perhaps? Mucous nets can be irritating sometimes. It could be something else. Has it stopped?
I snapped the wall growth off and moved the frag. It’s recovered fully and looks amazing again thank god. I was nervous, that’s one of my favorite pieces.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back