What’s in the world is bothering my Rasta’s?!?!?!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other day I noticed that my new Rasta zoas had been closing its polyps. One closed then opened and then the other closed. Something is bothering them. Looks like 2 antenna swaying. The flow is all off in the video and you can see the antennas moving as if there is flow. They also hide when my cleaner shrimp passes by. I’ve already dipped it in reef dip twice, once when i bought them a few weeks ago and again right before I put them back and shot the video. Anyone have an idea what it is?

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video with scheduled lights.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking and reading and I’m thinking spionid worm. From what I gather they’re not bad BUT it’s making my rastas unhappy. What can I do to stop or get rid of it? Here’s a pic of the antennas. Am I right, is it a spoinid worm? 2B68D61E-CDF8-47D6-A66C-7FD0E5A77151.jpeg

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking and reading and I’m thinking spionid worm. From what I gather they’re not bad BUT it’s making my rastas unhappy. What can I do to stop or get rid of it? Here’s a pic of the antennas. Am I right, is it a spoinid worm? 2B68D61E-CDF8-47D6-A66C-7FD0E5A77151.jpeg
Def looks spionid… harmless but will bother corals if on or close by… a Hoevens or Melanarus wrasse will take care of em… slurp them right out like a straw lol

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how to remove spionod worms or had any experience with them, but when ever there is something visibly bothering my Rastas or any zoas I have, I do a hydrogen dip for 3 min at a 5:1 ratio. You can’t do 5 min but I do 3 to stay safe. Also, this dip is from BRS so it is trust worthy in my opinion. After the dip I also rinse off the zoas in a separate container.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the worm has a small crevice under the polyps where he pokes out from. I wanted to glue his tube shut but, I’m afraid to get glue where it doesn’t belong. Sure would be cool if that worm decided to relocate to the substrate!
I don’t know how to remove spionod worms or had any experience with them, but when ever there is something visibly bothering my Rastas or any zoas I have, I do a hydrogen dip for 3 min at a 5:1 ratio. You can’t do 5 min but I do 3 to stay safe. Also, this dip is from BRS so it is trust worthy in my opinion. After the dip I also rinse off the zoas in a separate container.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def looks spionid… harmless but will bother corals if on or close by… a Hoevens or Melanarus wrasse will take care of em… slurp them right out like a straw lol
lol, I’d love to go down that route, only problem is that after my ich outbreak I’ve been strict in what goes into my DT and when. Plus I have a 13.5 nano and am already pushing the boundaries with livestock.

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I’d love to go down that route, only problem is that after my ich outbreak I’ve been strict in what goes into my DT and when. Plus I have a 13.5 nano and am already pushing the boundaries with livestock.
I hear ya! I’ve got a modded fluval 13.5 evo myself… on TOP of my other tanks lol Def limits as to what can go in there. Glue may be your only option. If you e got a shaky hand, you can always try putting a glob on the end of a tooth pick to put it on

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya! I’ve got a modded fluval 13.5 evo myself… on TOP of my other tanks lol Def limits as to what can go in there. Glue may be your only option. If you e got a shaky hand, you can always try putting a glob on the end of a tooth pick to put it on
I love my lil tank!!! It’s a great learning tank! Mine is pretty much bone stock except for the AI 16hd and the green machine uv sterilizer. I think filtration is spot on seeing that I’ve done little to nothing with the setup. Plugged the hole....first chamber houses from top to bottom poly the half the stock foam over the uv second chamber has other half of foam and bio media and the third chamber houses the heater and top off sensor and half a bag of chemi-pure. That’s it, that’s my setup and it’s worked just fine for me. I wanted to try to glue the hole last night but need to find the way how to. It was kinda hard holding the frag phone (to magnify what I’m looking at) and glue with 2 hands lol. When I get home from work I’ll try to get someone to help me. Thanks for the tips!!!!
Since this pic, I’ve added a bird’s nest some darth mauls and the rastas. All except for the rastas are happy. 5A25132B-15A8-40B0-B8AB-AEFF5B68A7A1.jpeg 802F72F2-3B74-47B1-A272-712E7AD7310A.jpeg

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the worm has a small crevice under the polyps where he pokes out from. I wanted to glue his tube shut but, I’m afraid to get glue where it doesn’t belong. Sure would be cool if that worm decided to relocate to the substrate!
Some people glue the polyps directly to the plug without substrate or rock, I think if you are diligent you should be ok, you could try dabbing some glue with a q-tip (minus the cotton of course) that way you don’t overdo it.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people glue the polyps directly to the plug without substrate or rock, I think if you are diligent you should be ok, you could try dabbing some glue with a q-tip (minus the cotton of course) that way you don’t overdo it.
My concern is that this dude has a tunnel and a alternative exit route. At least it looks that way. I’m scared that glueing around the entire perimeter of the few heads would be futile if he could just poke out elsewhere. It’s almost like it’s right between the zoas and the rock they’re attached to.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worm burrows through coral. Guess what it does when you block its hole?

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult would it be to get the few polyps off the rock piece without harming them?

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found where he’s burrowing. These zoas are the only ones not opening. Can he be the culprit? How can I get him out?!? AB0D98AE-B53A-4E80-B042-F36A12528DDF.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back