What’s killing my corals?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can do in your 90 to increase access to the substrate is put three base pillar rocks across the bottom and then bridge across those with larger base rocks so you have two caves underneath. Obviously the larger the caves the more access you have to the substrate. And then you could put your live rock on top of that. I used all base rock, no live rock, to keep the pests out. Of course, it’s all live rock now. Also, the three base pillars I cut flat on the bottoms so they would be stable.
I can only get what I can get now.

Attachments

• 20220122_132558.jpg
    20220122_132558.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220122_132621.jpg
    20220122_132621.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220122_132641.jpg
    20220122_132641.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 40

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go pal. Read up.

By the way. I was thinking about your reaction to the photo. I sent it not to say hey I have a great tank going. It was to show you how difficult it is to clean the substrate. I have not been able to find anything that will work. I saw BRS guys moving coral around. I don't have the nerve. I have an idea how to make one I will see

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul actually uses a diatom filter from time to time on his rocks to blast the detritus off. He also employs a reverse flow UG filter so it is much different than say a non touched DSB. FWIW I pulled a 4 inch DSB last year which was 20 years old..it was on a FOWLR, nitrates and phosphates were high, lots of surface detritus. When I pulled the bed I expected it to smell like low tide and be full of crap....it wasn't, no black sand pockets. I could have rinsed the sand and used it again, it was that clean looking.
What is a reverse flow UG filter?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are many tanks out there that have the perfect balance of microfauna, corals and fish that they don’t need to remove the detritus from their systems because the microfauna does it for them. For me, rather than take a chance on having that perfect balance, I just clean my gravel every time I do a water change. I do a 30-35% water change twice a year in my 125 with a thorough cleaning of all the substrate I can reach. I also dose Essential Elements from Kent to maintain trace element levels. There are many different ways to keep a successful reef tank, you just have to find yours. And I think I found mine. In fact, after many years of early failure and recent success, I’m confident enough that I’m building a 325. Tank, stand, filter, everything DIY.
I do water changes about 30% every 2 weeks. I would like to know what trace elements are necessary though. I built my 90 to have access to clean. All my water changes are done in the sump. Which makes me ask what do you put in the sump? All I have is the skimmer, and a media filter. By the way did an investment into a zero waste RO system by watts, with a DI filter . Here is what my filter liiked like ( primary ) after 6 months on
RO filter 1.jpg
town water
20210306_075912.jpg
IMGP1030.JPG

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are many tanks out there that have the perfect balance of microfauna, corals and fish that they don’t need to remove the detritus from their systems because the microfauna does it for them. For me, rather than take a chance on having that perfect balance, I just clean my gravel every time I do a water change. I do a 30-35% water change twice a year in my 125 with a thorough cleaning of all the substrate I can reach. I also dose Essential Elements from Kent to maintain trace element levels. There are many different ways to keep a successful reef tank, you just have to find yours. And I think I found mine. In fact, after many years of early failure and recent success, I’m confident enough that I’m building a 325. Tank, stand, filter, everything DIY.
Good luck with the 325. I am pushing my luck with my wife now

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, what works best for your success. How much of your substrate are you actually able to reach without removing hardscape? For me, it's maybe 30% of sand I can reach.
Sorry was kickoff time. Maybe 10%

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you have done a lot of changes, lights, flow.

I've noticed my hammers don't like change. I cleaned the tank too much and they didn't like it. They grew into the higher flow and had heads bail. I had one colony drop on the sand, head bailed. I increased the lights, they didn't fill out like they did prior.

Getting razor blade out was a good thing.
Mine don't either. They stay all shrunk up for a couple of days. I was wondering if its because there is enough food for them that they don't need to ?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes about 30% every 2 weeks. I would like to know what trace elements are necessary though. I built my 90 to have access to clean. All my water changes are done in the sump. Which makes me ask what do you put in the sump? All I have is the skimmer, and a media filter. By the way did an investment into a zero waste RO system by watts, with a DI filter . Here is what my filter liiked like ( primary ) after 6 months on
RO filter 1.jpg
town water
20210306_075912.jpg
IMGP1030.JPG
I like what you did with the rocks there.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't either. They stay all shrunk up for a couple of days. I was wondering if its because there is enough food for them that they don't need to ?
Are you referring to your mushroom tank? Both those types in my experience are bullet proof and based on your tank they will eventually climb the glass as well;).

What corals do you plan for the 90 gallon? There are lots of ways to manage all aspects of this hobby, some folks use filter socks, some use skimmers, some use algae filled refugiums, some siphon gravel all the time, some pull their whole tank apart to rip clean when things build up. Some do water changes, some don't.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to your mushroom tank? Both those types in my experience are bullet proof and based on your tank they will eventually climb the glass as well;).

What corals do you plan for the 90 gallon? There are lots of ways to manage all aspects of this hobby, some folks use filter socks, some use skimmers, some use algae filled refugiums, some siphon gravel all the time, some pull their whole tank apart to rip clean when things build up. Some do water changes, some don't.
I have a sock, Octo skimmer, Had some algae in the sump but when I was away my wife thought it was a problem, and took it out lol. I guess I am asking about types of media

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did with the rocks there.
Also my new tank is covered in what I was told is Spirorbid Worms. Read up on them, and also told almost impossible to get rid of. I have no idea how they got in there except the rock. Told not a pest just a nuisance do you agree?

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BJD is the biggest reason for the dying of euphylia(especially high end torch!!!) and sps coral. many of our reefer just thinks that BJD is only killing euphylia but actually goni, acros sps and even more. uv light will help keeping BJD under control but obey "simple and staple" rule will help more! hamful bacteria are coming from the air and our hands including the BJD!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back