What’s my best option to erratic bubble algea

Matt_Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys
I wanted to reach out and get your opinions on how to remove the bubble algea from my tank. My tank is an 80 gallon bare bottom that has been up and running for 2-3 years. I currently have 9 fish and did not have plans to add anymore. I have been very delibrate in my actions in setting this tank up and choosing my fish. Unfortunately I did not think about quarantining my Cheato before adding it to my tank which introduced the BA. So far in the forum i see a couple of options but wanted to post a video before decided which route to take. Here are the options I am considering. Please let me know if there are any others that I have not listed.

-Vibrant- I have read that it can cause problems with my corals. I am not sure if my corals are ones that this product could effect.

-FoxFace- I currently have 9 fish. Here is the list and the Oder they were added.
2 Clowns, 2 Cardinals, 2 Flame Hawks, 1 Chromis, 1 Mystrey Wrasse, and 1 Kole Eye Tang.
-Will adding a FoxFace push the limits of livestock I can fit in my tank?
-I added them in a certain order based upon aggression. How would the FoxFace fit in the pecking order?

-UV Sterializer- Will the sterilizer eventually keep the BA from reproducing.

-Remove the rocks and scrub them- Last resort. I do not want to do this.

I have attached a video of my tank so you can see the severity of the BA. Please disregard my wife mocking me in the background. She can’t help her self.

Thanks Matt

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean toward emerald crabs more than the other options you mention. They can be questionable I know some have had experiences of them not being safe for coral, but that seems to be the exception.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize i should have mentioned it earlier. I have added multiple emerald crabs and they are not touching the BA.

Thanks for the advice on attaching the video. Please see the link below of you tank video.

Thanks Matt

Upvote 0

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have bubble algae and probably still have some in hard to reach places. I did nothing myself to remove it. My Clown trigger, Assasi trigger and when I had a blonde naso tang they absolutely loved the stuff and ate all they could get to. Occasionally when I move a rock or such and expose a cluster of it that the 2 triggers couldn't reach, I will hold the rock in the tank and immediately the Clown and Assasi investigate it and start chowing down on the bubble algae. I use to have a gold spot rabbit and it didn't touch it.

Upvote 0

D6025K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Emerald crabs but in my experience they generally don't take care of the larger pieces. It's more like they keep the new growth in check. I would try siphoning as much out as you can though.

The other fish that may help is a Desjardin Sailfin Tang. I can literally remove a big piece with tweezers and feed it to mine. I also see him pecking at the one rock piece I have with a small amount of it.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Upvote 0

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently facing this issue. I bought a large emerald crab back about 3 months ago. it did not eat my bubble algae and stared to annoy my corals. I removed it and bought a smaller one and this time I placed it right on the bubble algae. I have seen it working on the bubble algae and its doing a good job so far. Its been a couple days but I have seen a lot of work. What I would do is buy something not big and place it right onto the bubble algae. I placed mine at night as well. Good luck and dont give up.

Upvote 0

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used vibrant per the dose recommendation and it wiped out my bubble algae after 10 weeks and not 1 single sps or lps coral was effected...

Upvote 0

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a massive out break in my old 125g. My best shot was the emerald crabs. The smaller the better for what ever reason . And as previously said when introduced into the tank I had to place the directly on it. Crabs are funny creatures. Currently have 2 tiny ones in my nano and they do great keeping the new tank algae problems in check. Usually pick it all clean in 2-3 days.

Upvote 0

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an outbreak myself (not my first one over the decades) and I used a combination of manual removal, getting a few emerald crabs, and increasing amount of water changes with monitoring of nitrate and phosphate. I found when I was doing the manual removal my powder blue tang and a couple of other fish would follow and grab any fragments or small bubbles that got away. I also increased flow through sump and caught a lot of strays that way as well. I am not sure what role, if any, the emerald crabs played.
The one critical factor, regardless of method used, is time. Do not expect the situation to come under control quickly. In fact, it might initially seem to get worse. Do not be discouraged and remain persistent. It will come under control.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back