What’s on my tomini’s face?!

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I noticed this bump on my tangs mouth when I it home from the LFS several weeks ago. It was just the initial bump at first, so I thought it might just have been trauma or a bite from another fish at the store, and decided to monitor. Tang is breathing fine, eating well, no flashing or scratching. But it does seem to have progressed up his face on his gill towards his eye now. Any ideas? Do I need to medicate?

AC8036A6-4251-4CD3-976F-2D7BB3A905A6.jpeg 395AA5F9-2019-4905-B111-68EC4B5A2679.jpeg 294F1CFB-20E5-4247-BEA6-9D6828EE58A8.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I noticed this bump on my tangs mouth when I it home from the LFS several weeks ago. It was just the initial bump at first, so I thought it might just have been trauma or a bite from another fish at the store, and decided to monitor. Tang is breathing fine, eating well, no flashing or scratching. But it does seem to have progressed up his face on his gill towards his eye now. Any ideas? Do I need to medicate?

AC8036A6-4251-4CD3-976F-2D7BB3A905A6.jpeg 395AA5F9-2019-4905-B111-68EC4B5A2679.jpeg 294F1CFB-20E5-4247-BEA6-9D6828EE58A8.jpeg
That seems to be an abscess. I can’t say what caused it, but it is most likely bacterial. You won’t be able to easily treat it with external medication. I’d be inclined to say just wait and see, but since it is growing larger, there is some risk to doing that. At some point it will likely rupture. Do you have access to a treatment tank?
Jay

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be an abscess. I can’t say what caused it, but it is most likely bacterial. You won’t be able to easily treat it with external medication. I’d be inclined to say just wait and see, but since it is growing larger, there is some risk to doing that. At some point it will likely rupture. Do you have access to a treatment tank?
Jay
Hi jay! Thank you for your reply! Yes, I do have a treatment tank. Are we thinking isolating and kanaplex?

OP
OP
L

lmgoetze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay! Thank you for your reply! Yes, I do have a treatment tank. Are we thinking isolating and kanaple
Jay
also, any idea why it appears to be spreading upwards toward the eye?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay! Thank you for your reply! Yes, I do have a treatment tank. Are we thinking isolating and kanaplex?
Yes - if it ruptures. Not all abscesses are caused by bacteria, but after they rupture, they can all become infected with bacteria.

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back