What’s on this mandarin?

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a mandarin in quarantine for 3 weeks. It’s eating live pods, live baby brine shrimp, frozen cyclops and frozen mysis. This morning I noticed a patch of ‘something’ on it. Any ideas? Bacterial infection? Suggestions on treatment?

2983CCAD-C610-4EC5-8ECE-1F5ED25D3D0D.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    10.2 MB

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how early in the morning and is it still there? They coat themselves in mucus overnight as their form of protection, so early in the morning you can see it covered in mucus like stuff. But it disappears pretty fast once it wakes up, so it that stuff is there all day then its something else.

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how early in the morning and is it still there? They coat themselves in mucus overnight as their form of protection, so early in the morning you can see it covered in mucus like stuff. But it disappears pretty fast once it wakes up, so it that stuff is there all day then its something else.
It's still there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a mandarin in quarantine for 3 weeks. It’s eating live pods, live baby brine shrimp, frozen cyclops and frozen mysis. This morning I noticed a patch of ‘something’ on it. Any ideas? Bacterial infection? Suggestions on treatment?

2983CCAD-C610-4EC5-8ECE-1F5ED25D3D0D.jpeg
I couldn't get the video to play, so I'm just working off of the still picture. Do you think that developed overnight, or could it have gone unnoticed for a few days? It looks almost raised up. Marine fish don't often get external fungal diseases, but this sure looks like that. Formalin dips would work for that. Bacterial infections would be more commonly seen, but I can't account for why the lesion would be so large - any other animal in with it that could have injured the mandarin?

Jay

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was there the previous day but smaller. She is very shy and always hides when she sees me. I remember thinking I saw something small but wasn't sure and she quickly went back into her hiding spot and wouldn't come back out. I made sure to get a good look at her yesterday and was surprised by how big it was. And yes, it is slightly raised.

The only other thing in this tank is a small hermit crab to help clean up what she doesn't eat. I cannot figure out where this could've come from. I have zero ammonia and nitrites, and the nitrates are like 5 ish (Salifert).

I ended up treating with Kanaplex because I had it on hand and couldn't just do nothing. It said it was for bacterial and fungal infections so I was hoping it might help. It looks the same today, and she is still eating. Should I continue the Kanaplex for 2 more treatments (according to the instuctions), or switch the treatment to something else? Is it still OK to do the Formalin dip?

Thank you for replying and trying to help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was there the previous day but smaller. She is very shy and always hides when she sees me. I remember thinking I saw something small but wasn't sure and she quickly went back into her hiding spot and wouldn't come back out. I made sure to get a good look at her yesterday and was surprised by how big it was. And yes, it is slightly raised.

The only other thing in this tank is a small hermit crab to help clean up what she doesn't eat. I cannot figure out where this could've come from. I have zero ammonia and nitrites, and the nitrates are like 5 ish (Salifert).

I ended up treating with Kanaplex because I had it on hand and couldn't just do nothing. It said it was for bacterial and fungal infections so I was hoping it might help. It looks the same today, and she is still eating. Should I continue the Kanaplex for 2 more treatments (according to the instuctions), or switch the treatment to something else? Is it still OK to do the Formalin dip?

Thank you for replying and trying to help!

I got the video to play on my home computer - that is really gnarly looking, I've never seen anything like it. I know you can't do this, but if it were my fish, I would take a biopsy (skin scrape) and look at it under a microscope - that would tell us pretty quickly if it were bacterial or fungal.

At this point, I'm stumped - I would go with the Kanapelx as per label instructions (3 doses, 48 hours apart I think).

Jay

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the video to play on my home computer - that is really gnarly looking, I've never seen anything like it. I know you can't do this, but if it were my fish, I would take a biopsy (skin scrape) and look at it under a microscope - that would tell us pretty quickly if it were bacterial or fungal.

At this point, I'm stumped - I would go with the Kanapelx as per label instructions (3 doses, 48 hours apart I think).

Jay
Hmmm, I couldn't bring myself to do that while she's alive. I'll do it if she dies, though, and post photos from the microscope. In the meantime, hopefully the Kanaplex will help. I'll report back at the end of the treatment. Thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back