What’s the absolute best, and absolute worst advice you received from this forum (or anywhere really)?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about this. I’m no expert by any measure, but I’ve been in the hobby for a very long time. I’ve seen some absolutely stellar advice (not just from the big names, from everyday reefers) as well as, let’s just say absolute rubbish to be polite. What’s the best and worst advice you’ve ever received? Please don’t throw people under the bus (maybe they were honestly trying).

best advice I’ve ever received…..and I really only say it’s the best as it hits me the most often. Is when things go awry, step back, relax, think, and don’t jump into Superman mode trying to save everything. Bad things happen and you’ll only make them worse by jumping in with quick fixes. It’s hard for me, as when something does change, my first instinct is to fix it. I’m constantly having to step back and adjust my attitude.

worst advice…man there’s a lot, I’m going back a ways, but I once had a clear for life uniquarium (they were actually ahead of their time way back when as far as all in ones go) with the wet/dry trickle filter with plastic bio-balls….well the lfs knew I had that thing running for a long time and told me that everyone’s tanks were crashing from the bio-balls. They said it’s a ticking bomb that will explode and nuke your tank with nitrate. We’re advising everyone with plastic bio-balls to replace them with these ceramic balls (I don’t even think they had a name associated with them at the time, they were just loose in a bin and you were charged by the pound). You just remove the old, vacuum out the sump, and drop in the new balls. No need to rinse them or anything. You could probably guess what happened. Water instantly turned into a brown sand storm. I immediately pulled the fish out, but within 48 hours everything in the tank was dead.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about this. I’m no expert by any measure, but I’ve been in the hobby for a very long time. I’ve seen some absolutely stellar advice (not just from the big names, from everyday reefers) as well as, let’s just say absolute rubbish to be polite. What’s the best and worst advice you’ve ever received? Please don’t throw people under the bus (maybe they were honestly trying).

best advice I’ve ever received…..and I really only say it’s the best as it hits me the most often. Is when things go awry, step back, relax, think, and don’t jump into Superman mode trying to save everything. Bad things happen and you’ll only make them worse by jumping in with quick fixes. It’s hard for me, as when something does change, my first instinct is to fix it. I’m constantly having to step back and adjust my attitude.

worst advice…man there’s a lot, I’m going back a ways, but I once had a clear for life uniquarium (they were actually ahead of their time way back when as far as all in ones go) with the wet/dry trickle filter with plastic bio-balls….well the lfs knew I had that thing running for a long time and told me that everyone’s tanks were crashing from the bio-balls. They said it’s a ticking bomb that will explode and nuke your tank with nitrate. We’re advising everyone with plastic bio-balls to replace them with these ceramic balls (I don’t even think they had a name associated with them at the time, they were just loose in a bin and you were charged by the pound). You just remove the old, vacuum out the sump, and drop in the new balls. No need to rinse them or anything. You could probably guess what happened. Water instantly turned into a brown sand storm. I immediately pulled the fish out, but within 48 hours everything in the tank was dead.
Wait why did it turn into a brown sand storm, what happened? Just from adding bio balls from a different material?

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait why did it turn into a brown sand storm, what happened? Just from adding bio balls from a different material?
The new (at the time) ceramic balls were filled with fines and pretty much disintegrated, blowing throughout the tank and turning into a pool of mush in the sump. Nothing like what they are today.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From @Randy Holmes-Farley : are you sure you didn't buy a refractometer for beer instead of for salinity?

I had.
1656043972564.jpeg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst advice... hmm.
My own. Buy the minutes grouper! Lol.
We always shot for zeros but they were likely just undetected. I don't think you can actually measure 0 phosphate and nitrates in a reef.
Something is making some kind of waste at some time and it's being used by something else at some point. Lol.

I don't know if I've come across the best advice yet. Lol! Everyone opinions differ and I don't belive in the hype or big wigs. They run a reef tank at home just like I Do lol.

Reefs naturally balance themselves. Why go chase numbers? Lol.
D

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice is hard as everyone’s opinion is different. Personally I’d say it was:
Follow what you think.

The worst was… well I don’t think I’ve ever seen a VERY bad opinion.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back