What’s the best medication for treating internal parasites

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best medication for treating internal parasites because theres so many different kinds and they all have pros and cons?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best medication for treating internal parasites because theres so many different kinds and they all have pros and cons?
GC in the water is a good choice. Oral meds are tricky, here is an article about them:

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My favorite is combination of seachem metroplex and focus but I ask what causes you to suspect internal issues?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is combination of seachem metroplex and focus but I ask what causes you to suspect internal issues?

But that won't work unless you calculate the dose correctly. Metronidazole needs to be dosed at 5000 ppm in food.

jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have white stingy poop and im not feeding anything like brine shrimp that causes white stringy poop. I want to feed them that but im scared im not going to does it properly, do you know any more like beginner friendly medications?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant do in the water because i have inverts

Prazipro is safe in the water and would cover some of the internal parasites.
Jay or vetteguy would be better at diagnosing this if it's just a natural byproduct of the fish or a parasite.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They have white stingy poop and im not feeding anything like brine shrimp that causes white stringy poop. I want to feed them that but im scared im not going to does it properly, do you know any more like beginner friendly medications?
Focus is a polymer but praziquantel May and Fenbendazole will

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i do that?

You need a gram scale, Here is an article that I wrote on the topic:

Regarding Focus, I just cannot understand why more people don't question its use. The bottle says use it 1:1 Focus and medication and the package says use it 5:1 So which is it! Even then, in both cases it just says mix with "some" food. How much? 1 gram, 1 kg? So my question always is: what is the final dose? Nobody knows. As I said, for Metro it needs to be 5000 ppm. Some medications require accurate dosing - just like human medications. With metro, if you fall below 5000 ppm, it doesn't work, and if yo9u go above that, it is so bitter, the fish won't eat it. Other drugs, like some antibiotics, are toxic with an overdose.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regarding Focus, I just cannot understand why more people don't question its use. The bottle says use it 1:1 Focus and medication and the package says use it 5:1 So which is it! Even then, in both cases it just says mix with "some" food. How much? 1 gram, 1 kg? So my question always is: what is the final dose? Nobody knows. As I said, for Metro it needs to be 5000 ppm. Some medications require accurate dosing - just like human medications. With metro, if you fall below 5000 ppm, it doesn't work, and if yo9u go above that, it is so bitter, the fish won't eat it. Other drugs, like some antibiotics, are toxic with an overdose.

Jay
So how do i know many grams of metro is 5000 ppm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do you dose it properly?
The measurement I know is a 1/2 tablespoon for a few fish present or a tablespoon which is typically about 15 grams added to the food is enough to feed a large number of fish(15+ fish).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the volume of water you are medicating.
the larger the volume of water, the more grams of metro it will take to get to any desired concentration.

What size tank are you trying to dose? measure the internal tank dimensions for the most accurate volume estimation.

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Someone smart told me that food soaking meds is like going to the doctor saying “I’m not feeling well” and the doctor throws a couple of pills at you and says back “here, take what you can catch”.

;) :D

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone smart told me that food soaking meds is like going to the doctor saying “I’m not feeling well” and the doctor throws a couple of pills at you and says back “here, take what you can catch”.

;) :D

Hmmm, who could have said that? Some real smart aleck no doubt.

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5000 ppm is equal to 0.5%. That in turn is equal to 0.5 grams in 99.5 grams of food. That's a lot of food though. By moving the decimal over one, you get 0.05 grams (50 mg) in 9.95 grams of food. This is where Focus really helps - you add some water to the dry Focus to make a slurry. Then, you add that to how ever much food you choose, just so the total weight is 9.95 grams. Add 50 mg of Metronidazole to that and mix well. Portion it out and freeze for later use.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5000 ppm is equal to 0.5%. That in turn is equal to 0.5 grams in 99.5 grams of food. That's a lot of food though. By moving the decimal over one, you get 0.05 grams (50 mg) in 9.95 grams of food. This is where Focus really helps - you add some water to the dry Focus to make a slurry. Then, you add that to how ever much food you choose, just so the total weight is 9.95 grams. Add 50 mg of Metronidazole to that and mix well. Portion it out and freeze for later use.

Jay
Thank you, also can i use garlic guard instead of water with the focus?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the volume of water you are medicating.
the larger the volume of water, the more grams of metro it will take to get to any desired concentration.

What size tank are you trying to dose? measure the internal tank dimensions for the most accurate volume estimation.
I’m going to feed it to them

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back