What’s the best medication for treating internal parasites

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best medication for treating internal parasites because theres so many different kinds and they all have pros and cons?

OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The measurement I know is a 1/2 tablespoon for a few fish present or a tablespoon which is typically about 15 grams added to the food is enough to feed a large number of fish(15+ fish).
I’m only feeding three small fish, do you know how much i would need for that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5000 ppm is equal to 0.5%. That in turn is equal to 0.5 grams in 99.5 grams of food. That's a lot of food though. By moving the decimal over one, you get 0.05 grams (50 mg) in 9.95 grams of food. This is where Focus really helps - you add some water to the dry Focus to make a slurry. Then, you add that to how ever much food you choose, just so the total weight is 9.95 grams. Add 50 mg of Metronidazole to that and mix well. Portion it out and freeze for later use.

Jay
Does it matter how many grams of water and focus i use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter how many grams of water and focus i use?

Yes - you need to weigh all components of the food: the food itself, the Focus, as well as any water you add. That is what is called an "as fed basis".

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - you need to weigh all components of the food: the food itself, the Focus, as well as any water you add. That is what is called an "as fed basis".

Jay
So how many grams and focus and water should i add to 9.95 grams of food and .05 grams of metroplex?

Upvote 0

sizemore5000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is so quick to use an expensive bottle of juice to solve problems!

Internal parasites are a problem for animal of all types. The Go-To for most animals is garlic. There are real food sensitivities, and garlic is potent medicine, so be cautious - but soaking food in real garlic is cheap and effective.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many grams and focus and water should i add to 9.95 grams of food and .05 grams of metroplex?

I would mix the focus, water and metroplex to create a thin paste. Then weigh that. Subtract that weight from 10 grams and use that many grams of food. So - if the paste of water, Focus and Metroplex weighs 1 gram, you would mix that into 9 grams of food. then, portion it out for daily allotments and freeze it.

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is so quick to use an expensive bottle of juice to solve problems!

Internal parasites are a problem for animal of all types. The Go-To for most animals is garlic. There are real food sensitivities, and garlic is potent medicine, so be cautious - but soaking food in real garlic is cheap and effective.

Garlic is an expectorant for some internal parasites (mostly helminths). It reduces the parasite load, but typically doesn't eliminate them. The problem is, whatever caused the parasite load to increase (stress, crowding, etc.) may still be there, so elimination of the parasite is better than just reducing their numbers. For example, in one study, garlic extract reduced the Neobenedenia loading on Barrimundi cod by 70%. The trouble is just one of those parasites is capable of starting the infection back up again.

Garlic is best used to entice new fish to begin feeding, or perhaps in small amounts as a supplement (but at least one fish food manufacturer has removed garlic from their recipe).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix the focus, water and metroplex to create a thin paste. Then weigh that. Subtract that weight from 10 grams and use that many grams of food. So - if the paste of water, Focus and Metroplex weighs 1 gram, you would mix that into 9 grams of food. then, portion it out for daily allotments and freeze it.

Jay
do i need a to mix a equal amount of focus, metro, and water or do i more or something and less or something else like more focus and less water?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do i need a to mix a equal amount of focus, metro, and water or do i more or something and less or something else like more focus and less water?
They are not clear in their instructions, so you need to wing it. Mix the metro and focus in a 1:5 ratio, starting with the amount of metro that you know you need. Then add enough water to make a thin paste. Weigh that. Then add that to enough food to reach your final weight.
Jay

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back