What’s the best pH raiser?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pH is currently around 7.9 ish and I’d like to raise it to around 8.4! Any product recommendations? And I know slow and steady.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
7.9 is pretty good, I wouldn't chase PH
So it’s for my corals and a future anemone. My corals are barely growing and I want them to be big and fluffy well my GSP. I’m also raising my magnesium which is low at around 1140 to around 1350. Everything else is good!

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually one or combination of the three below will fix it for you

If you are dosing alk with a bicarbonate-based product, switch to a carbonate based product (ie, diy soda ash, you can google Randy's posts, or the BRS pharma grade sodium carbonate)

Dose Kalkwasser instead of 2part

Tank has high CO2 - to test source cause:
1)scoop out a cup of tank water, aerate with airstone/pump for a few mins, test pH.
2) if pH rises, then that means tank has more co2 than your living room, in which case just increasing air exchange should help with more airstone/surface agitation.
3)If pH does not raise, then repeat 2) but with outside air. ph should raise. This means your rooms co2 is too high. In this case, open windows to get the co2 out, get a co2 scrubber, hold your breath and don't breath out when you are in the tank room

PS: jk on the very last part.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s for my corals and a future anemone. My corals are barely growing and I want them to be big and fluffy well my GSP. I’m also raising my magnesium which is low at around 1140 to around 1350. Everything else is good!
The ph unicorn is mainly for sps growth. I don’t know of any lps/softy people raising ph. It’s also of no benefit to your anemone

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
EXACTLY THIS! I wish all the YouTubers would stop this nonsense.
7.9 ???? I want that. Im often stuck on 7.8:

660g 3.30d.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually one or combination of the three below will fix it for you

If you are dosing alk with a bicarbonate-based product, switch to a carbonate based product (ie, diy soda ash, you can google Randy's posts, or the BRS pharma grade sodium carbonate)

Dose Kalkwasser instead of 2part

Tank has high CO2 - to test source cause:
1)scoop out a cup of tank water, aerate with airstone/pump for a few mins, test pH.
2) if pH rises, then that means tank has more co2 than your living room, in which case just increasing air exchange should help with more airstone/surface agitation.
3)If pH does not raise, then repeat 2) but with outside air. ph should raise. This means your rooms co2 is too high. In this case, open windows to get the co2 out, get a co2 scrubber, hold your breath and don't breath out when you are in the tank room

PS: jk on the very last part.
Hold your breath when your in the tank room ??? Really ??? :astonished-face::thinking-face::grimacing-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Please tell me you were kidding !!!:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't chase PH. You need to know the big three. Ca, KH and Mag. If they are in the right range, your coral will grow. Stable big three is the key for success.
They are the only thing a little low that I’m working on raising is magnesium. It’ s currently at around 1140 I’m trying to get it to 1350.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH matters, I see a huge difference in my anemones and corals when my PH is hovering around the 8.3 range vs 8.1 and lower. Anemones and coral polyps are larger and much more full, have better coluration, better growth, and healthier corals overall. Our goal should not be eh it's surviving it should be to make our tanks thrive. Healthier corals can handle issues betters be it pests, or simple mistakes we make as people trying to take care of a glass box full of life. Think of optimal ph as a buffer that allows for a little more wiggle room when things go wrong.

We need to put an end to this "Don't chase ph or numbers in general" nonsense. It's one thing if your PH is 8.3 and someone is trying to get to 8.32. It's another if someone is on the far edge of the spectrum.

Secondly, the response is pretty snooty, the OP isn't coming here asking "If they should raise their ph" they are asking how don't be so quick to dismiss them.

The entire foundation of our hobby is to keep our water parameters within an acceptable range. The notion of "Don't chase numbers" is a direct contradiction to that. (END RANT)

I have a huge thread about my journey going from great PH to losing it to finally getting it back again. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ph-on-the-drop-cant-seem-to-isolate-cause-any-suggestions.907767/ There are a lot of great suggestions from many people here. First thing first needs to figure out why it's low, how you are testing, and how you verified the tests are correct. Then need to understand what you currently have in place that may be lowering or raising your ph, if this is a new issue or something that has been persistent.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PH matters, I see a huge difference in my anemones and corals when my PH is hovering around the 8.3 range vs 8.1 and lower. Anemones and coral polyps are larger and much more full, have better coluration, better growth, and healthier corals overall. Our goal should not be eh it's surviving it should be to make our tanks thrive. Healthier corals can handle issues betters be it pests, or simple mistakes we make as people trying to take care of a glass box full of life. Think of optimal ph as a buffer that allows for a little more wiggle room when things go wrong.

We need to put an end to this "Don't chase ph or numbers in general" nonsense. It's one thing if your PH is 8.3 and someone is trying to get to 8.32. It's another if someone is on the far edge of the spectrum.

Secondly, the response is pretty snooty, the OP isn't coming here asking "If they should raise their ph" they are asking how don't be so quick to dismiss them.

The entire foundation of our hobby is to keep our water parameters within an acceptable range. The notion of "Don't chase numbers" is a direct contradiction to that. (END RANT)

I have a huge thread about my journey going from great PH to losing it to finally getting it back again. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ph-on-the-drop-cant-seem-to-isolate-cause-any-suggestions.907767/ There are a lot of great suggestions from many people here. First thing first needs to figure out why it's low, how you are testing, and how you verified the tests are correct. Then need to understand what you currently have in place that may be lowering or raising your ph, if this is a new issue or something that has been persistent.
Agree , not a matter of " Do Not raise", but rather do not chase if stable. I want 8.1 steady but due to location and running scrubber due to limited ventillation, I live with steady. Ph is important for coral growth, coral health, and metabolic processes hence the goal is alkalii and not acidic. While lime will increase PH, I want it at level naturally.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back