What’s the best piece of advice you can give to any reefer?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great advice above!

Here's a few off the top of my head:

Set your lighting and leave it alone (at least 6 months to a year) before making adjustments.

Adjust one variable at a time or you will not know cause and effect.

The cost of the tank will probably be the least expensive piece of equipment.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just want to formulate a good “code” to run by as I progress through this hobby. One of the greatest tips I got from a gentleman at my LFS was to “not turn my tank inside-out if one coral isn’t happy”
Patience.

I cannot stress this enough.

Every single reefer in this hobby most likely wants to change something or investigate when they suspect or think something "might" be wrong.

Let mother nature take it's course, unless it requires immediate intervention

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER tell your significant other how much you have spent.

I get that it's a popular joke, but IMO this is actually really, really bad advice. My wife knows everything I spend on the tank. The tank has never caused any friction in our marriage, other than when I don't clean up after it, and in fact now she might even enjoy it more than I do. If I hadn't been honest about the tank, I could easily see it causing some problems.

For actual advice... well, patience is a good one. There's a reason it's in my signature. But the actual advice I'm going to give is this:

Don't try to avoid water changes. Do what you can to make them as easy as possible, but don't try to use any of the water change-free reefing methods until you really know what you're doing. Of course you can ignore that advice and have success; many people have. But eliminating water changes requires you to keep your tank in balance with both nutrient export and parameter maintenance, and doing that on top of learning how to keep a reef tank is just increasing the difficulty of your tank in exchange for a small cost-savings to an expensive hobby, and a somewhat larger decrease in your regular maintenance.

In my experience, it's not an exchange that's worth it when you're getting started.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back