What’s the best place to dose in my system

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g and I’m ready to hook up two dosing pumps for two-part. If I dose in the sump, would the return pump chamber be the best place so the two-part would distribute quickly into the DT? I also thought about dosing directly into the DT by the return. What do all of you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I Personally dose as close in the sump as I can get to wherever the exhaust of the skimmer is, or anywhere downstream of that before the pump. The more water/distance from where the alk enters the water until it gets to the pump gives it more time to dilute. I had a concentrated dose of alk once get pumped from my return over an acro and it burned it. Now I have some extra water between the point the alk goes into the sump and the pump picks it up.

Hope that made sense. It avoids a spike in alk at the return nozzle in the DT.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also moved dosing from the return section to the skimmer section of the sump, near the discharge of the skimmer. But my reason was to minimize buildup in my return pump (when I was running a Vectra L1, which ran hot) and on my UV quartz tubes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back