What’s the best refugium light for macros?

What’s the best light for refugium/macros?

• Neptune Gro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kessil H80

• Reefbreeders Pico

• Kessil H160

• AI Prime

• Kessil A360x Fuge Light

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Kessil H1200

• Good Ole Light Bulb and Clamp Fixture

• Other

• Total voters

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to what’s considered the best option for growing my macros? I know money plays a part in everyone’s tanks so the upper end H series light wasn’t always available as an option. With Neptune’s new light, it seems like a good option for a lot less money. Even still, some people find good success with just a standard fixture and bulb. So is it still worth it to buy the H series lights for growing, is the new option from Neptune the best for the money, or is it something else? My old H380 is about to kick the bucket, so I need to jump on something and want the best light I can get.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of macro. Not all macroalgae has the same photopigments and not all macroalgae comes from the same place. If you tell me the type of macro you have then I can help.

It also depends on the features you like. I run a standard AI prime 16hd as I can customize the type of color depending on the algae I want to grow (plus it puts out enough light with said colors to be my only filter other than carbon and socks).

OP
OP
TreyC2010

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of macro. Not all macroalgae has the same photopigments and not all macroalgae comes from the same place. If you tell me the type of macro you have then I can help.

It also depends on the features you like. I run a standard AI prime 16hd as I can customize the type of color depending on the algae I want to grow (plus it puts out enough light with said colors to be my only filter other than carbon and socks).
I’ve got chaeto. If there’s a light that grows chaeto well, but can be used on others later, that’d be ideal.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got chaeto. If there’s a light that grows chaeto well, but can be used on others later, that’d be ideal.

Personally I like to find lights with strong coverage across the color spectrum. Some macros do well with more blue, some more red, some more green, some more white, some a combo. I personally avoid plain white bulbs as they are not great "fuel" for chaeto compared to stronger competitors (usually they are a lot of yellow and green with a hint of blue and red). I also don't like cheap off brand copy and paste fire hazard lights that you can find readily on amazon. I think chaeto can use a lot of violet/blue and some red. However, this is based off of other chaeto species that are not typical in refugiums. This is just based off of the photopigments present. Some specific macroalgaes have studies that show how well they fare under certain light colors and combos but I can't find any for chaetomorpha grown in our tanks.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back