What’s the best wrasse

cant beat reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best wrasse is for a 100 gal tank one that isn’t aggressive, not too expensive and one that does a good job keeping things clean

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you want it to clean up? Wrasse aren't detritivores or algae-eaters. They can be good for snacking on bugs and worms, though.

What does "not too expensive" mean for you?

OP
OP
cant beat reef

cant beat reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want it to clean up? Wrasse aren't detritivores or algae-eaters. They can be good for snacking on bugs and worms, though.

What does "not too expensive" mean for you?
Any pest that might sneak into my tank through coral etc

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What pests?

If you want to not have coral-eating flatworms, zoa-eating nudibranchs, and the like, the best way to prevent them is to dip all new corals.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris. I have 3 wrasses, yellow, melanerus, and leopard. All are awesome pest hunters. The yellow is the most affordable. I see them in lots of frag tanks as well. Stay away from sixline despite the price. Get a small yellow. If price was no option I’d say melanarus.

OP
OP
cant beat reef

cant beat reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pests?

If you want to not have coral-eating flatworms, zoa-eating nudibranchs, and the like, the best way to prevent them is to dip all
I already dip but there could always be something that manage’s to sneak in a wrasse will help any pest that get in after dipping stage and I like the look of wrasses very vibrant I was just wondering what everyone had in mind.

OP
OP
cant beat reef

cant beat reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris. I have 3 wrasses, yellow, melanerus, and leopard. All are awesome pest hunters. The yellow is the most affordable. I see them in lots of frag tanks as well. Stay away from sixline despite the price. Get a small yellow. If price was no option I’d say melanarus.
I would love a melanarus I heard they I really good and there pretty cool looking fish too, but I can never find one so I think a yellow corris is a good option Thankyou

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My choice would be a Melanurus assuming you have have sand bed. I've had one in the past and loved it so it is the next fish I will be adding to my tank. Hopefully my new one likes to eat bristle worms because I have plenty.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another +1 for the melanurus.
from experience i would avoid 6-lines as they are 50/50 whether they join the community of fish or outright destroy it. The same could be said for Mystery wrasse but i imagine their purchase price might be prohibitive.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Melanurus. I got mine for under $60 at my LFS. He munches on Vermitid snails and bristleworms but he likes to take unscheduled vacations and will stay under the sand-bed for days at a time and then suddenly re-appear.

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several wrasses all of which were under 60 from liveaquaria. Yellow Coris, Neon, Melanurus, Christmas, and Checkerboard. The Checkerboard is by far my favorite. Constantly on the hunt, super active, healthy and very handsome when mature. Few things to keep in mind, first you'll need a lid. They are all jumpers. Lost a sea grass wrasse two weeks ago and I have a clearview lid. Also, you'll need to replace snails and crabs periodically. Every week I have a pile of shells in the front corner of the tank. Also keep in mind some of these guys grow large. I've had the checkerboard for 2 years. He was under an inch when I got him and now he's about 4 inches long.

OP
OP
cant beat reef

cant beat reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Melanurus. I got mine for under $60 at my LFS. He munches on Vermitid snails and bristleworms but he likes to take unscheduled vacations and will stay under the sand-bed for days at a time and then suddenly re-appear.
Vermited snails too!! I might have to get one I’m having a little issue with vermitid

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermited snails too!! I might have to get one I’m having a little issue with vermitid
I have a few remaining but they are under control and not irritating my corals anymore. He's very curious too. Anything new or moved in the tank he has to investigate carefully. He also eats Nori from my hand along side my Sailfin tang who is more than twice his size.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back