What’s the likelihood this Glue is reef safe??

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel absolutely terrible and a little annoyed. Got my dad involved in a diy acclimation box build for my tank. We got all the pieces cut, drilled a bunch of holes in the acrylic. And he was off work that week and asked me if I wanted him to go ahead and glue it together for me while he was off. I said sure go ahead. I told him I wanted to use either the super glue GEL blue cap or weld-on 4 preferably. Well I get home and find out he used gorilla glue contact adhesive clear grip. Goes to tell me his usual remarks of why he chose it saying it’s waterproof and the stuff sticks and grabs instantly… bla bla bla. But in my head I’m just sick to my stomach because I’m afraid I have to tell him this box we made is no longer usable due to the potential chemicals in that type of glue leaching out and that waterproof DOES NOT necessarily mean aquarium safe.

Can you guys let me know what I’m thinking I already know? Whether or not this stuff is safe for an acclimation box or not??
4749307D-6E81-4C78-81FD-A27A5772CAC0.jpeg
468C8549-A0FC-41BE-BF72-30931F0E31F1.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bummer , agree check chems,
2 will it hold in saltwater
if stars align ,go over inside or outside ,whichever has no G glue with weld on 16 ,just to be safe holding together...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the ingredients .
If I remember though it’s not reef safe
But apparently the gel is reef safe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer , agree check chems,
2 will it hold in saltwater
if stars align ,go over inside or outside ,whichever has no G glue with weld on 16 ,just to be safe holding together...

Yeah. You could double coat it with something and seal it up

So you guys are thinking if I go over the inside and outside of all the seams where that gorilla glue was used with weld-on 4 or 16 then it should seal that glue in and be much more or totally safe to use?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys are thinking if I go over the inside and outside of all the seams where that gorilla glue was used with weld-on 4 or 16 then it should seal that glue in and be much more or totally safe to use?
That would be the hope. I’d still email gorilla glue. I can’t remember which of there glues I used on one of my many diy reef projects but I have used their stuff. And haven’t had problems yet

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the hope. I’d still email gorilla glue. I can’t remember which of there glues I used on one of my many diy reef projects but I have used their stuff. And haven’t had problems yet
I’ve used their gorilla glue GEL(green cap) before for frag plugs which is the same as the loctite superglue ultraGEL that I’ve also used for frag plugs. That many people on forums and fb groups have said they’ve used before without any issues. But yeah, this stuff I’ve tried searching and can’t find any solid answers on it or of anyone that’s ever used it before.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, if not reef safe, would not trust the weld on 16 to encase the GG .
If safe weld on will just prevent failure of seams in future ,as it bonds acrylic as one
@Lowell Lemon , any thoughts ?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, someone on Amazon asked if this (Gorilla Clear Grip Contact Adhesive) was aquarium safe and Gorilla's response was as follows:

Though Gorilla Clear Grip is 100% waterproof and can be submerged in water, it has not been tested on animals. Therefore, we would not recommend this application. If we can be of further assistance, please contact our Consumer Affairs team at 800-966-3458 or through our website at www.gorillatough.com/contact and reference case #228836.

Thank you,
The Gorilla Glue Company

Not sure if this link will work but here it is:

Gorilla Clear Grip QA

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may be best to just take to table saw and rip 1/2" off all seams and weld it .

Take the box apart, cut off the edges containing glue and use the correct reef safe glue.
I'll bet dad's up for it.
Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to do just to be safe at this point. I hated to have to tell him that when he brought it over to me all proud about gluing it together then I had to tell him I don’t feel comfortable putting that in my tank until I find out more about that glue.

Think I’ll just do like you guys said, take roughly a 1/2” off of all the edges and put it back together with weld-on.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to do just to be safe at this point. I hated to have to tell him that when he brought it over to me all proud about gluing it together then I had to tell him I don’t feel comfortable putting that in my tank until I find out more about that glue.

Think I’ll just do like you guys said, take roughly a 1/2” off of all the edges and put it back together with weld-on.
Doesnt have to be very strong joints as it is not meant to hold 20 gallons of water. I bought a small one thats held together just by plastic tabs. You might want to glue waterproof magnets to one side to hang on the tank

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use one glue if it possibly needs to be covered with the proper glue ?

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt have to be very strong joints as it is not meant to hold 20 gallons of water. I bought a small one thats held together just by plastic tabs. You might want to glue waterproof magnets to one side to hang on the tank
Yeah my plan was to see what strong aquarium safe magnets people have used and order some to hold it to the tank. Gluing it to the box isn’t a bad idea.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my plan was to see what strong aquarium safe magnets people have used and order some to hold it to the tank. Gluing it to the box isn’t a bad idea.
Saw these, remove cleaner brush from water side and glue.
2 Pieces Mini Aquarium Glass Cleaner Magnetic Algae Scraper Magnetic Glass Cleaner No Scratch Magnet Fish Tank Glass Cleaner Magnetic Brush for Small Fish Tank Glass and Acrylic Aquarium (Black) https://a.co/d/3e8o9BG

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak it in ro water for a week followed by saltwater. I would not be too worried about leeching chemicals after that as they would be tiny amounts esp for the short time it is in the tank. . But that is just me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back