What’s the minimum QT tank size for Tangs?

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll only be spending 1-2 months in the tank but still I want them to have enough room.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the tang species, and how big will the tangs be?

I currently have a hippo in a 20H what the heck other fish for TTM against ich, and it’s gonna be there until august. The tank is definitely too small for the 6” fish.

If you have the money, I’d recommend a tank size around 6-8x the body length of the fish, and at least double the body length of the fish.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo, Yellow, Sailfin, Purple and Powder Blue. I think I’ll do a 20 long, thanks. Can I get a 40 gallon and divide it? Cos I have to quarantine multiple tangs to introduce them at the same time and I don’t want multiple tanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L works 95% of the time.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo, Yellow, Sailfin, Purple and Powder Blue. I think I’ll do a 20 long, thanks. Can I get a 40 gallon and divide it? Cos I have to quarantine multiple tangs to introduce them at the same time and I don’t want multiple tanks.

I wouldn't do all those at the same time, even in a 40 breeder. Maybe two batches?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll just suck it up and do 5 20ls.

You don't have to QT or add them all at once. 2, and then 3 would work fine, and it would allow you to use your 40 breeder. I would add the powder blue to the second batch.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank police will say that a 125 is just large enough for the yellow and purple tangs, and that hippo tang will be okay in a 180 along with the sailfin. I think the powder blue is the one that mostly needs a really big tank.

I'm of the opinion that a tank that's 6' long will be able to house most Zebrasomas, a hippo tang, most Ctenochaetus and a smattering of other fish as well. What's in your stocking list aside from tangs though?

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank police will say that a 125 is just large enough for the yellow and purple tangs, and that hippo tang will be okay in a 180 along with the sailfin. I think the powder blue is the one that mostly needs a really big tank.

I'm of the opinion that a tank that's 6' long will be able to house most Zebrasomas, a hippo tang, most Ctenochaetus and a smattering of other fish as well. What's in your stocking list aside from tangs though?
Current list is:

1 Zebra Moray Eel.
2 Green Mandarin Dragonets.
20 Ocellaris Clownfish.
1 Royal Gramma.
4 Yellowhead Jawfish.
2 Neon Blue Gobies.
2 Yellow Watchman Gobies.
2 Madagascar Spotted Croucher Gobies.
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse.
1 Yellow Tang.
1 Regal Tang.
1 Sailfin Tang.
3 Blue Tuxedo Urchins.
5 Pajama Cardinalfish.
25 Banded Trochus Snails.
25 Nassarius Snails.
4 Long Tentacle Anenomes.

I’m planning on a skimmer rated for 250 gallons, a biopellet reactor rated for 225 gallons, and a 20 gallon refugium so the heavy stocking shouldn’t be an issue.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That...is a lot of fish. Assuming that the only competition will be fellow grazers, and that there won't be much in terms of biological waste...it might work? It looks like all the grazing is going to come from tangs. So that's fine in terms of competition.

The blue/regal/hippo tang is a planktonivore, so the only real competition is between the various other tangs. I'd be concerned about a PBT/regal tang showdown if they weren't introduced to the tank at the same time due to colors/size/shape similarities. Same with the yellow/sailfin/purple tang as well. I probably wouldn't put in a PBT just based off of the stocking list, since that is a lot of fish, and PBT's are, from what I know, rather sensitive fish.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That...is a lot of fish. Assuming that the only competition will be fellow grazers, and that there won't be much in terms of biological waste...it might work? It looks like all the grazing is going to come from tangs. So that's fine in terms of competition.

The blue/regal/hippo tang is a planktonivore, so the only real competition is between the various other tangs. I'd be concerned about a PBT/regal tang showdown if they weren't introduced to the tank at the same time due to colors/size/shape similarities. Same with the yellow/sailfin/purple tang as well. I probably wouldn't put in a PBT just based off of the stocking list, since that is a lot of fish, and PBT's are, from what I know, rather sensitive fish.
Yes, what I’m thinking is Sailfin, Regal, and Yellow.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow.... Thats alot of fish for a 125... I have a 155, I have been able to establish 4 clownfish (two pair at opposite ends). A pair of pajama cardnials (they pair off and you end up with 2 usually, I unknowingly started with 4). A yellow and tomini tang, three different wrasse a Mandarin, pair of oyster crest gobies, and a shark nose goby. I run a skimmer "rated" for a 240 after my turf scrubber to keep up with the load. I'd definitely consider slimming down this list or going with a much larger tank with higher capacity filtration.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow.... Thats alot of fish for a 125... I have a 155, I have been able to establish 4 clownfish (two pair at opposite ends). A pair of pajama cardnials (they pair off and you end up with 2 usually, I unknowingly started with 4). A yellow and tomini tang, three different wrasse a Mandarin, pair of oyster crest gobies, and a shark nose goby. I run a skimmer "rated" for a 240 after my turf scrubber to keep up with the load. I'd definitely consider slimming down this list or going with a much larger tank with higher capacity filtration.
Okay I’ll send a message with the updated list soon.

Back