What’s the minimum QT tank size for Tangs?

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider going acrylic thanks, and I will check with the building management. I don’t think that the MSCGs will do much harm in a big tank. Also here’s the new list:

1 Zebra Moray Eel.
1 Green Mandarin.
7 Ignitus Anthias.
2 Ocellaris Clownfish.
1 Royal Gramma.
2 Yellowhead Jawfish.
2 Neon Blue Gobies.
2 Yellow Watchman Gobies.
2 Madagascar Spotted Croucher Gobies.
1 Lineatus Fairy Wrasse.
1 Regal Tang.
1 Yellow Tang.
1 Purple Tang.

I’ve decided to try Anthias cos I really want a school of fish and Chromis or Cardinalfish seem to be kinda aggressive. Ofc I’ve researched the feeding requirements, gender ratios and most peaceful species. As for the foxface, I’ve gotten mixed info on whether they can be kept in this tank so your advice would be great.

Honestly, that's way too much fish for a 125 IMO. You're going to have some issues keeping up with the Bio-load. I suggest you start with all the small fish, see how the tank & parameters look and then go from there. Also, putting 3 tangs in a 125-gallon is a risk since they will most likely fight with each other over the limited space. Maybe consider getting a foxface instead of the regal tang. Regal tangs grow up to 1ft long, I'm personally debating whether I should get one for my 200-gallon aquarium. Of course you could always get a small one then trade it to the LFS once it becomes too big. However, I personally wouldn't go that route. IMO it's not fair to the fish or the owner to go through all that, since it's stressful for the fish and owners get attached to the fish. Also, considering the yellow tang and purple tang are both Zebrasoma I'd rethink the purple tang. I think the Kole tang would be a much better choice than a purple tang in your situation. Another thing to consider is the anthias bio-load. Anthias eat and poop like crazy, in order for you to keep them healthy, you're going to need to do multiple feedings a day. Multiple feedings can tax your filtration system heavily, so you need to make sure your filtration can actually keep up with the bio-load before even considering 7 anthias. I honestly think you should drop the anthias if you want the tangs. Also, are you aware that mandarins have a very poor survival rate without a steady population of copepods. Unless you have some way to support its diet I'd also reconsider the Mandarin. Don't get me wrong, you could probably put all those fish in a 125, but you will have to do a ton of water changes and most likely have to deal with aggression issues down the line. Trust me, you will get burnt out quickly if you take this route. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has changed during the planning phase. Back when I started this thread I was just a noob wanting all the cool fish, things have changed a lot since then.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back