what’s the most reef safe shrimp

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i’m wondering on what the most reef safe shrimp is because i’m looking to get one and as i’m looking i’m not seeing very good things.
so i first though coral bandit shrimp because i heard- they were reef safe but the i kept reading and it looked to be a 50/50 on if they would eat corals.
so then i looked at sexy shrimp and i was reading around and i heard they have a tendency to eat corals too.
the only ones i can think of are cleaner or fire shrimp but how reef safe are those i heard they sometimes have a tendency of stealing food from corals but other than that i haven’t seen anything else about them.
and i heard that peppermint shrimp goes after corals and they are good for aptasia and i heard that pistol shrimps can sometimes not be the best choice so any help on this and i would be great full

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of sexy shrimp eating corals. But any shrimp will start eating whatever it can if it doesn't have enough food. All shrimp will steal food from corals - at least the sexy shrimp are small and limited in their food stealing abilities.

I've had big Coral Banded shrimp eat small fish and other shrimp. The ones that stay small are more or less safe and don't bother corals. So perhaps the small variants of Coral Banded shrimp are the safest.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cleaner shrimp and they will take food away from corals. But they are fun to watch, and don’t bother them otherwise.

I find them to be worth that drawback.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of sexy shrimp eating corals. But any shrimp will start eating whatever it can if it doesn't have enough food. All shrimp will steal food from corals - at least the sexy shrimp are small and limited in their food stealing abilities.

I've had big Coral Banded shrimp eat small fish and other shrimp. The ones that stay small are more or less safe and don't bother corals. So perhaps the small variants of Coral Banded shrimp are the safest.
what are the smaller species of coral bandits i only know the ones that get up to 3 inches

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sexy shrimp, pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp. None of them have done any noticeable damage through eating or stealing food. My cleaner shrimp got hilariously excited about food and would pull it out of the acan. Simple fix was broadcast feed before target feeding. Any of them are great adds and I freakin love my sexy shrimp in my nano *butt wiggles*

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far do they go with stealing food from corals
They won’t tear the coral apart or anything, but if the coral is still closing on a piece of food they will take it away. I usually just keep the shrimp away until the coral closes on the food.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sexy shrimp, pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp. None of them have done any noticeable damage through eating or stealing food. My cleaner shrimp got hilariously excited about food and would pull it out of the acan. Simple fix was broadcast feed before target feeding. Any of them are great adds and I freakin love my sexy shrimp in my nano *butt wiggles*
ok i’m probably gonna try a cleaner shrimp and try broad cast feeding

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won’t tear the coral apart or anything, but if the coral is still closing on a piece of food they will take it away. I usually just keep the shrimp away until the coral closes on the food.
ok so if i just fed them off from the coral but the one i’m worried about is my chalice coral

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cleaner shrimp for me followed by Blood red shrimp

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i’m wondering on what the most reef safe shrimp is because i’m looking to get one and as i’m looking i’m not seeing very good things.
so i first though coral bandit shrimp because i heard- they were reef safe but the i kept reading and it looked to be a 50/50 on if they would eat corals.
so then i looked at sexy shrimp and i was reading around and i heard they have a tendency to eat corals too.
the only ones i can think of are cleaner or fire shrimp but how reef safe are those i heard they sometimes have a tendency of stealing food from corals but other than that i haven’t seen anything else about them.
and i heard that peppermint shrimp goes after corals and they are good for aptasia and i heard that pistol shrimps can sometimes not be the best choice so any help on this and i would be great full
Don't get shrimp if you have a Flame Hawk.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv always had the skunk cleaner shrimp with 0 problems stay away from pepermint ships as every one iv ever had has became a zoa preditor(bad luck mabey) coral banded are a hit or miss for me mainly I had one who ate all my fish in 2 nights never had a fire before so cant say and the candy cane pistol shrimp iv had never messed with much other then stealing small things for its cave watched a hermit try and escape over and over would almost be to freedom then the pistol would run out grab the shell and put it right back in the cave I saved it the 7th or 8th time was like ok that's enoff

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv always had the skunk cleaner shrimp with 0 problems stay away from pepermint ships as every one iv ever had has became a zoa preditor(bad luck mabey) coral banded are a hit or miss for me mainly I had one who ate all my fish in 2 nights never had a fire before so cant say and the candy cane pistol shrimp iv had never messed with much other then stealing small things for its cave watched a hermit try and escape over and over would almost be to freedom then the pistol would run out grab the shell and put it right back in the cave I saved it the 7th or 8th time was like ok that's enoff
yea i’m gonna go with a cleaner shrimp because lots of people are saying good things about them and i’m scared of pistol shrimps now i didn’t know they took hostages

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back