What’s the survival rate of new coral additions?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add a new coral into your tank, does it make it or not? What’s your success rate? I’m at maybe 90%. I’ve noticed that aquacultured corals fare way better and almost never perish. Maricultured corals aren’t as lucky. Fwiw, I primarily keep SPS, mainly acros.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a mariculture colony that has been thriving and is an easy acro.

7751836B-22B6-4CAA-97B2-900DC4679182.jpeg
Acropora nana

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my corals live unless i kill them due to stupidity lol. Peroxide dosing killed a bunch. Vodka dosing killed a bunch. Putting a frogspawn directly in front of the pump output.... so id say if i provide the proper conditions for the coral im at 100%. But i have not lost any coral that i knew what the cause was. Well actually 1 acropora frag died and i didn't really know why so 95%

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add a new coral into your tank, does it make it or not? What’s your success rate? I’m at maybe 90%. I’ve noticed that aquacultured corals fare way better and almost never perish. Maricultured corals aren’t as lucky. Fwiw, I primarily keep SPS, mainly acros.
I keep both soft corals and LPS and for me it depended on the company. In both cases they were aquacultured but one had about a 50% survival rate while the other was 100%.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 75% in the last few years. Some were operator error like letting some loose palys roll around and sting a new favia. I've had some zoas just not do well and others get taken over by something else....magicians are gone, consumed in a field of red people eaters. Both hammers that I've added lost one head within a couple of months, but have since done well.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe 75% in the last few years. Some were operator error like letting some loose palys roll around and sting a new favia. I've had some zoas just not do well and others get taken over by something else....magicians are gone, consumed in a field of red people eaters. Both hammers that I've added lost one head within a couple of months, but have since done well.
Are you sure the palys stung a favia?

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had just about 100% success rate except for torches and hammers. Those guys are about 75% failure rate for what ever reason.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say I'm at about 95% success i buy mostly lps and softies. Sps is another story :confused: they live until they die for me and generally look good and grow... for a bit. Just kinda learned to stay away from them but I keep trying!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whay's the difference? My computer said aquaculture is freshwater.....
In this hobby, aquacultured corals are propagated in our tanks for example. Maricultured corals are propagated in the ocean. The main difference IMO, is that aquacultured corals are used to a closed system with our lighting, flow and parameters.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the palys stung a favia?
I'm not 100%, but the new favia was doing fine and the next day was completely devoid of tissue. I had noticed a clump of loose brown palys that were near said coral. I was planning on moving them...next day. The next day the palys had rolled past the favia so I assume maybe they had rolled into them at night. It was one of those really weird coral losses, usually I can see recession of tissues or closed up polyps...this was just gone completely white. I had other corals bought at the same time from the same person which did fine.

FishStixx2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100%, but the new favia was doing fine and the next day was completely devoid of tissue. I had noticed a clump of loose brown palys that were near said coral. I was planning on moving them...next day. The next day the palys had rolled past the favia so I assume maybe they had rolled into them at night. It was one of those really weird coral losses, usually I can see recession of tissues or closed up polyps...this was just gone completely white. I had other corals bought at the same time from the same person which did fine.

I lost a favia in a day or two for no reason! I actually know the reason, every coral I buy to impress the wife or she picks out, doesn't make it lol

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove the fact I discovered to late that my Bicolor Blenny has a taste for Favia / Favites, 100%. With that 90ish%

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep track.
I lost a wall hammer and a lobo recently. They never recovered from shipping.
Sometimes zoas die ( but leave tissue behind) and then reappear a month later. I would say 95% maybe more maybe less. In the beginning it wasn’t that good.

I have another hammer that bleached in shipping and it is recovering nicely

Gioyang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% for LPS, but close 100% for acros. My tank is small, and sometimes I accidentally put new acro frag under pump output...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first year I couldn't keep any corals alive except for the hardiest corals; gsp, xenia, and Kenya tree. For the last year I have only lost one coral not counting one duncan that is doing poorly because a copperband butterfly ate half of it. If I had to put a percentage to it I'd say 95% of my corals live now.

Now that I've jinxed myself my tank will now probably crash and I'll have to update that to 0%

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully, I've only lost 2 frags, due to a qt issue.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back