What’s this on my Ricordea Florida?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed this small clear/whitish blob on my Ricordea Florida. It seems to be covering the natural texture of the mushroom. It hasn’t moved or changed in several days and the mushroom seems fine otherwise, in fact it just developed a new mouth about a week ago but not where this blob is.

Any idea what this could be? I don’t think it’s a pest as it’s isolated and hasn’t moved, but I wanted to see if there are any diseases or anything that effect ricordea.

EF28AA91-007F-4D21-A3D4-2AA9E55915D7.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed this small clear/whitish blob on my Ricordea Florida. It seems to be covering the natural texture of the mushroom. It hasn’t moved or changed in several days and the mushroom seems fine otherwise, in fact it just developed a new mouth about a week ago but not where this blob is.

Any idea what this could be? I don’t think it’s a pest as it’s isolated and hasn’t moved, but I wanted to see if there are any diseases or anything that effect ricordea.

Image is fuzzy but may be zoa

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After noticing this bubble, the mushroom split a week or two later. Now I see another bubble developing. It appears that it forms these in the final stages of pulling itself apart/dividing. I snapped some more pictures of the new bubble.

I figured I would update the thread in case anyone finds this in a search down the line.

Ricordea Bubble 1.jpg Ricordea 2.jpg

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like the back side of them, like your ricordea is twisted, as recently as couple hours ago i was messing with my ricordea rock and i seeing same spots on some of mine

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suppose it hard to get a macro picture of a object and visualize it out of real life context, but I don't believe it is twisted from what I can tell. I did snap a video of it to so you can sort of visualize it three-dimensionally in space. I don't exactly know what happens to it, but I could certainly be wrong. It is interesting nonetheless.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say Florida - Ricordea. That's proper English.
Isn't it Ricordea florida (binomial name, first part refers to genus (Ricordea) while second part (florida) distinguishes the species within the genus (the only other species in the genus is Ricordea yuma))? Ours is **** sapiens (genus ****, specific name sapiens).

Not really sure either, but I would assume it's part of the mushroom.
@Sharkbait19
@Erin1971Texas
@blaxsun

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it hard to get a macro picture of a object and visualize it out of real life context, but I don't believe it is twisted from what I can tell. I did snap a video of it to so you can sort of visualize it three-dimensionally in space. I don't exactly know what happens to it, but I could certainly be wrong. It is interesting nonetheless.

Is the bubble the thing you're asking about?

Edit: sorry, I missed post #3. I don't think it's anything bad... Maybe it's going to "bounce"...?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the bubble the thing you're asking about?

Edit: sorry, I missed post #3. I don't think it's anything bad... Maybe it's going to "bounce"...?
I kind of wondered that originally too. I don’t know if that’s a thing that happens with this species. But it seems like it’s part of the splitting process.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of wondered that originally too. I don’t know if that’s a thing that happens with this species. But it seems like it’s part of the splitting process.
I know other types of coral can develop a bubble before they split. I've seen it frequently on hammers and frogspawn

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back