What’s this thing...?

unknown’nt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First ever post in R2R so sorry for any formatting issues. I’ve tried other threads and Facebook pages to try and figure out what these things are with no luck. Everyone tells me it’s a stomatella, or some sort of limpet, or algae growth, but I can say with 100% certainty that it’s none of those. It is living, it doesn’t move, and it has this super hard outer shell. I picked them off and saw that they had meaty insides, kinda like a mussel... When I picked them off I saw no damage to the hammer’s skeleton so I don’t think they’re dangerous to coral, but I could be wrong since I don’t know what they are lol. This picture was taken a while back and recently I found one that was about the size of a quarter on the underside of the frag plate. The ones in the image are about pea size. Hopefully I can find some answers here because I would like to know what’s gotten into my tank. Thanks in advance!
57C8D65D-A2FB-45DC-91A4-1EE0F9A5D78C.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be limpet but you said no, so I go with barnacle ?

OP
OP
U

unknown’nt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fit the description of and look like slipper limpets. What makes you say it’s not a limpet?
I have a few limpets roaming around and they look drastically different. This is like, clear with no tip and not in an oval-ish shape. It doesn’t move around...

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few limpets roaming around and they look drastically different. This is like, clear with no tip and not in an oval-ish shape. It doesn’t move around...
Maybe these are juveniles? They look really darn close to the one suctioned to my astrea snail shell.
Regardless, it appears to be right up next to the coral tissue and doesn’t appear to be bothering it. If you notice the tissue receding then you might want to remove them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keyhole limpet

OP
OP
U

unknown’nt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe these are juveniles? They look really darn close to the one suctioned to my astrea snail shell.
Regardless, it appears to be right up next to the coral tissue and doesn’t appear to be bothering it. If you notice the tissue receding then you might want to remove them.
I’ll keep an eye on any more that pop up and compare them. Thanks!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1609824904213.png

This is pretty much what you have, right? But yours are flatter? Oysters can have a very thin 'bottom' shell, as the rock provides all the shelter they need from that side. Slipper limpets are slightly 'taller', and have a smoother, more regular edge shape.

OP
OP
U

unknown’nt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
1609824904213.png

This is pretty much what you have, right? But yours are flatter? Oysters can have a very thin 'bottom' shell, as the rock provides all the shelter they need from that side. Slipper limpets are slightly 'taller', and have a smoother, more regular edge shape.
That could be it. It looks similar in shape. I’ll do some more research into oysters and see what types exist. Thanks!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back