What’s this year's HOT coral??

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!!

With this year 1/2 way over already and seemingly going faster, what in your opinion is this years “hot” coral?

Last year I feel was rock mushrooms and all here forms. The year before that I feel was acans.
There’s a large turn for Goniopora the passed few months and feel these will deliver. The new species are much healthier (I believe from where they were collected) with colors that blow the mind. It’s amazing that just in a short period of time they went from being a 6 month to what’s current.

I just purchased my 1st known to live species, a rainbow short tentacle from my LFS here locally. With 20 more species at his shop and colors that keep on giving with there dancing polyps flowing in the currents.

So what’s your outlook on this matter? From what’s hot to if your a collector and would like to show of that clutch picture of a crazy Goni colony, please go ahead

EDIT:pplease. Don’t laugh at the size of my frag

690BDC70-CD5E-4158-91A5-4F4F0C6C7380.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!!

With this year 1/2 way over already and seemingly going faster, what in your opinion is this years “hot” coral?

Last year I feel was rock mushrooms and all here forms. The year before that I feel was acans.
There’s a large turn for Goniopora the passed few months and feel these will deliver. The new species are much healthier (I believe from where they were collected) with colors that blow the mind. It’s amazing that just in a short period of time they went from being a 6 month to what’s current.

I just purchased my 1st known to live species, a rainbow short tentacle from my LFS here locally. With 20 more species at his shop and colors that keep on giving with there dancing polyps flowing in the currents.

So what’s your outlook on this matter? From what’s hot to if your a collector and would like to show of that clutch picture of a crazy Goni colony, please go ahead

EDIT:pplease. Don’t laugh at the size of my frag

690BDC70-CD5E-4158-91A5-4F4F0C6C7380.jpeg
+1 torches.
That is one amazing Goni! I want it!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for torches. I think people are done paying ridiculous sums for single zoa polyps right now and are gradually working their way from LPS and eventually SPS again. That’s how it seems to go. It’s like a never ending cycle. People either start with softies and move up to lps/sps or they progress to sps, get overwhelmed and go back to softies/lps. I’m starting to see the zoa market out here crashing and decided to make them the focus of my new tank for that reason.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for torches. I think people are done paying ridiculous sums for single zoa polyps right now and are gradually working their way from LPS and eventually SPS again. That’s how it seems to go. It’s like a never ending cycle. People either start with softies and move up to lps/sps or they progress to sps, get overwhelmed and go back to softies/lps. I’m starting to see the zoa market out here crashing and decided to make them the focus of my new tank for that reason.
I got this zoa frag the other day for $5. A few years ago (and still today sometimes) it would’ve cost me $100. I think zoas have died down.

F4642424-42CF-4243-9ADE-35EB80FA139B.jpeg

OP
OP
Sir Chris

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I feel was rock ANEMONE’S** and all there forms. The year before that I feel was acans.

Why I said rock mushrooms I’m not sure. Possibly bounce mushrooms were passing my thoughts.

joeyamador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year for me..(as in what Ive seen local.. golden euphyllia.. I bought a frag: decent size, for 100$ 1.5-2yrs ago and my lfs in Carrollton hi as a large golden torch for 1200$ each!!!!! Needless to say I am going to frag mine for some in store credit or more gear.. trends get me.which is why I love this hobby sometimes... i am going to start an aiptasia trend lol... I'll figure a way to splice jelly fish Dna with them just like fresh water fish and sell them at a premium for pink,yellow,gold and green aiptasia... lol..

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m newish, so everything is cool! I am enjoying watching my leather frags grow, going to have to trade them off at some point. I’m also a big zoa fan.

I love trends in this hobby.
I look for what I like regardless of what anyone thinks. If its too expensive I wait for a big trend, then usually the price gets more affordable. But hypocrisy hits sometimes. And I end up getting something I Have to have, not want to have.
Then I end up having to sleep on the couch. But thats the best view of my tank and where I want to be anyway. ;)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back