What’s this???

peterneish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m hoping for some help with a fairly new tank. It was set up before Christmas so had been running around 6 months now. A few months ago a brown algae type substance started to develop. I just don’t know what it is so I’m unsure what action to take. I’ve just treated the tank with chemi clean which made absolutely no difference at all :( Based on that I’m assuming it’s not cyano? Is it brown algae, diatoms, dinos? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nitrates and phosphates are 0 despite heavier feeding. Is it possible that the brown algae is using up the nitrates and phosphates giving the 0 readings? Thanks in advance! Peter

CE63D004-27B3-41DE-8554-3CAC5DB999FE.jpeg CFD50BA8-1929-419A-B9EC-0B70231C44C4.jpeg

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have cyano as well as that brown thing that idk what it is. I can see cyano on the rocks and a little bit on the sand. It's a slimy red brown bacteria/algae that is bad

OP
OP
P

peterneish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Yes the cyano seems to have been treated by the chemi clean and is gone now. The brown sludge type algae hasn’t budged an inch tho :(

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1^^^ looks like chrysophytes to me
I swapped in some dead rock to an old system and got something similar. Some refer to it as symbiodinium which is a larger catch-all. It has been hanging around for months now.

OP, can you baste it off or is it attached?

I have a thread that details a bunch of things that did NOT work to remove it. May save you some time and hassle.

@C. Eymann do you have any thoughts about how to solve for this? It does not seem to be terribly common.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back