What’s wrong?? Montipora color

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what’s the issue with this guy, started on his underside and now it’s getting it all over. Is it too much light should I move it to a shaded spot?
AD616A88-09F7-47EB-8920-50C539FD489F.jpeg
D5ED7A31-A7A3-452B-94F7-FE2E11D8585C.jpeg

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also... it looks like it has been trying to grow straight up, not enough light.

can you share your tank setup - details and water parameters? maybe a full tank shot as well.

any other corals in the tank? how are they doing?

J.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing looks like a gonner already....
What do you have it mounted to?
Doesnt look like liverock.
It’s on a plug sitting on the only non live rock in the tank. It has been doing fine for the last two months

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Mine went the same and did nt recover. I put it down to a swing in alk I was having at the time
20210127_170059.jpg
have been stability issues with my ph and using seachem reef buffer almost daily to catch up my ph. Doesn’t that lower the alk? Maybe that is the issue.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
also... it looks like it has been trying to grow straight up, not enough light.

can you share your tank setup - details and water parameters? maybe a full tank shot as well.

any other corals in the tank? how are they doing?

J.
have only had it for two months, I recently moved it higher in tank, but it was already pretty high to begin with direct under the light. All my other coral are fine, zoas, favia, Xenia, leather etc

I’m not home for another picture, the only issue I’m having is ph and using seachem ph buffer to try to get that up

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

have only had it for two months, I recently moved it higher in tank, but it was already pretty high to begin with direct under the light. All my other coral are fine, zoas, favia, Xenia, leather etc

I’m not home for another picture, the only issue I’m having is ph and using seachem ph buffer to try to get that up
As JGT said focus on Alkalinity SPS will not tolerate ALk swings

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

have been stability issues with my ph and using seachem reef buffer almost daily to catch up my ph. Doesn’t that lower the alk? Maybe that is the issue.

have you tested your Alkalinity recently?

if you're only dosing this buffer to chase PH, and not to keep Alk levels where they need to be, there's a very high possibility your alk is through the roof.

J.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tested your Alkalinity recently?

if you're only dosing this buffer to chase PH, and not to keep Alk levels where they need to be, there's a very high possibility your alk is through the roof.

J.
I just ordered a alk test kit. I’m really new to keeping coral and I was really focused on ph, salinity, nitrates, calcium. Now I realize alk is probably one of the most important ones!

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bleached and dead. I agree, its growing up, so you probably don't have sufficient lights.
It’s only two months old in my tank. It was originally that cup shape growing like that. You think it’s cuz of low lighting it grew upwards?

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a alk test kit. I’m really new to keeping coral and I was really focused on ph, salinity, nitrates, calcium. Now I realize alk is probably one of the most important ones!

don't go chasing PH. let the tank run at the PH it wants, focus on salinity, Alk, Ca.

J.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back