What’s wrong with my anemone???

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m not sure what’s wrong with my condylactis anemone... It’s been doing great these past few months. It’s been eating and my clownfish loved it, but last night it started acting odd. I know that sometimes the anemones deflate at certain times (like before lights out) and I know anemones also expel zooxanthellae sometimes. Well, this is different. I hope it’s not dying.. it’s been doing amazing, but I’m starting to worry.

Last night, as I was shutting the lights off, I noticed it had detached from the rock and was laying on its side. It looked very white. I didn’t know what was wrong with it. There’s nothing wrong with my water, at all. I figured I would check it in the morning and see how it was doing.

This morning, I checked on it, and it had moved. (I’m guessing from the powerheads blowing it) I moved it to a better area, and I noticed its tentacles (they’re almost nonexistent) had no “stick” or “sting” to them, which really made me worry more. I couldn’t do much with it, as I had to leave the house.

I just arrived home a little bit ago, and I noticed it looked a little worse... The anemone looks like its insides are coming out of its mouth? I don’t know how to describe it. It looks bad.. I read some things online, and people have said it’s dying or it is already dead. It doesn’t have a smell, I have checked. My water is perfectly fine. The temperature is fine. I have had the lights on since 7:00 this morning. I just don’t know what happened to it or what it is doing. I’m extremely worried and kind of panicking.

Does anyone know what’s happening? Is it a goner?

OP
OP
alexandra26

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature is 79 degrees Fahrenheit, specific gravity is 1.024, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia is 0, pH is 8.2, I have 2 18 watt 2250 lumen LED lights (I’m not 100% sure, I didn’t put them in) I have a 75 gallon tank.

I included a picture of it...

DF120ED5-BA19-4A3C-8E68-3E10736C940D.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very close to death imo.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The anemone is definitely not happy. Your light is the reason your anemone is dying or dead (18 watts for each light is very low for the anemone). You need a much more powerful light such as a black box, ai hydra, ecotech radion etc. You will need more than one light, but I’m not sure how many.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see any part of the surface beginning to tear? The rotting process will be fast although it will still be moving and struggling through the decomposition.

Anemones actually like some nitrates and phosphates to be available.

I suppose the lights would give a max of 140-170 par, not entirely enough to keep the Nem. It might just have gone exploring for a better lighted spot, which is a dangerous thing to do in a tank where currents and not as strong as in the ocean :) Sometimes they fall on the wrong side, and suffocate before being able to turn over. Then their tissue will start to rot really fast and it will pollute the tank and release stinging cells which can kill livestock really fast.

Is it still moving?

OP
OP
alexandra26

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s tearing apart to me. It doesn’t look good at all. It seems like it has moved a little bit since I’ve taken the picture. It could be from the current, even though I tried to place it in a spot without too much flow so it wouldn’t blow over.

I picked it up, and I didn’t smell anything at all.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advice to pull it from the tank if you see as much as one tiny tear in the skin. It is rotting.

They can be saved still but you would have to isolate it to avoid it killing your tank. I would say that there is only rotting left now and you need another one *cries*

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise put it so it have its mouth free and focus all your light on it, that is the only advice I can come with now. I know some people use lots of antibiotics to save them at this stage but as I mentioned, they use hospital tanks for the treatment.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to give up a few Anemones before I learned how to keep them from tipping over in the start.

They start tearing and you don't want to see the rest :)

A condy is really dangerous to your fishes, it would probably just have eaten your clownfish, don't let it get you down *cries*

OP
OP
alexandra26

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked it up to check it, again. Its stickiness has come back a little, still no smell, and it looks like it’s tearing.
I feel like he might be a goner.
I attached a photo (taken moments ago)

790F1C43-112D-4ADA-A1FD-715DBDDAE7F0.jpeg

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I’m not sure what to do with it. I’ll wait until tonight and see.

I guess I need to go shopping for new lights.
You probably need to learn more about the hobby before you buy more livestock so you don't kill it as well, and so you don't buy equipment you end up not needing/wanting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a learning lesson OP, always have some nitrate and phosphate, living things need it to live, adequate lighting are very important to nems and coral, it helps them eat when they aren’t catching food. Keep your head up.

OP
OP
alexandra26

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need to learn more about the hobby before you buy more livestock so you don't kill it as well, and so you don't buy equipment you end up not needing/wanting.

It’s not just my tank. I don’t have complete control over it. I didn’t buy the lights nor the anemone, but thanks .... it’s a learning process. When we were setting up our tank, the LFS did not mention special lighting for anemone. I’m just glad I know now, so I can try to prevent this in the future. :)

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they mostly start smelling if it is actually bacteria getting it, it is often mentioned in connection to treating the nems with antibiotics but I didn't really smell anything with the ones I lost, perhaps a slight ammonia smell but nothing too stinky.

When I first saw a condy, I wanted one, but the next thing I learned was that condys do not host clownfishes so I went for the Macrodactyla Doreensis instead, comes in great colours and they naturally live in lagoons and river outlets so they aren't super picky with water conditions either :)

OP
OP
alexandra26

alexandra26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably take it out in a few hours, if its condition doesn’t get any better... :(

I have 2 condylactis anemones, and my clownfish love them. I also have a mini carpet anemone, it doesn’t do much. My local pet stores don’t always have great options when it comes to saltwater fish/inverts.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back