What’s wrong with my dragon soul torch?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a dark spot on it and I am not sure what it is.

image.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark spot may be a condition called brown jelly disease bjd. There appears to be some skeleton showing on the right polyp. And the dark area is likely tissue that is dieing. Hopefully additional reefers will chime in. @MERKEY can you take a look?
There are some experimental treatments using products like cipro that have shown promise. @Eagle_Steve any insight on this one?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dark spot may be a condition called brown jelly disease bjd. There appears to be some skeleton showing on the right polyp. And the dark area is likely tissue that is dieing. Hopefully additional reefers will chime in. @MERKEY can you take a look?
There are some experimental treatments using products like cipro that have shown promise. @Eagle_Steve any insight on this one?
100% this :)

The other head still looks good and seems to have flesh still.

A cipro bath should help and seems to be the "new" fight in the bacterial sector.

@Eagle_Steve Has some good info :)

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% this :)

The other head still looks good and seems to have flesh still.

A cipro bath should help and seems to be the "new" fight in the bacterial sector.

@Eagle_Steve Has some good info :)
It was okay for weeks though. Why suddenly it got BJD?
What is cipro?
I dipped it coral medic by brightwell more than 3 days ago.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was okay for weeks though. Why suddenly it got BJD?
What is cipro?
I dipped it coral medic by brightwell more than 3 days ago.
It is believed the bjd is brought on by several causes but bacteria seem to be most often the final problem as the flesh begins to deteriorate. This process typically remains hidden until the polyp seems to suddenly melt and turn to goo.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is believed the bjd is brought on by several causes but bacteria seem to be most often the final problem as the flesh begins to deteriorate. This process typically remains hidden until the polyp seems to suddenly melt and turn to goo.
This is not available in Canada just like other fish meds:(

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe temperature swings as much as 1-2degree in a day or two due to placing inkbird sensor too close to the heaters
Ya that wouldn't do it unless mixed with other things.

What are your parameters?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have ATO and Trident.
What can you get in Canada? There are a few different types of meds for freshwater fish that are antibiotic based, but not typically regulated. For example API general cure and API Furan 2. They are such a low dosage, they may be allowed.

Afaylenerich88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with torches is. If in too high of flow they can get cut by there own skeleton causing BJD (brown jelly). This can lead to death of the entire animal. Accidental bumps with scraper or cleaning equipment. I'm talking the slightest bump can cause it to slice there soft tissue. If you move the coral around, if you have any pistol shrimp, coral banded, hermit crabs, urchin. General CUC one of them could have been cleaning and pinched the coral. My pistol shrimp will attack any coral within 10inches of its den/burro. It has attacked my dragon soul torch. I lost one head because he decided to pinch the polyps. So just an example of how easily affected this animal is by its surroundings.

I wouldn't suggest a torch to any new reefer. Or any reefer that hasent had there tank set up for a min of 1 year. These coral need absolutly 100% stability. They are very picky coral. Unlike there cousin the hammer coral that can withstand whatever you basically throw at it. And they will still be begging for more love hammers so peaceful and just hardy as heck. Unlike torches. Same genus but weaker immune and tissue development.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this torch? What’s going on with it??
DAE81635-664C-4D65-8C98-03EC83243342.jpeg
284FB024-D38C-42A4-86F0-A8F5D4F55760.jpeg
EDFB4E6F-C102-4CC1-821F-A10BD46BBB8C.jpeg
So is this BJD too??!? This is not on high flow area and close to the bottom. I have it for several months with no issue. Does this also have BJD??

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back