What’s wrong with my fish

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I woke up in the middle in the night today and saw my fish doing this, all my other fish are fine and my parameters are fine so I don’t know what’s wrong, the only things that were out of the ordinary that happened lately was I was setting up a automatic feeder and a bunch of fish food fell in a few times, I took all of it out but he ate every time, also he has been pooping like this for a couple of months.

4C2AF6AB-F16B-4A82-BD3E-CEA3F113476D.jpeg 260557B9-24BA-403D-A459-81E6235B270F.jpeg 855CC9C8-2D04-48FC-9253-6CECA4B159B6.jpeg 06027AB1-4900-4FC2-944D-3DAF8048EA6A.jpeg 0F4459DD-7046-46FB-9EF7-E7A97E9E2325.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I woke up in the middle in the night today and saw my fish doing this, all my other fish are fine and my parameters are fine so I don’t know what’s wrong, the only things that were out of the ordinary that happened lately was I was setting up a automatic feeder and a bunch of fish food fell in a few times, I took all of it out but he ate every time, also he has been pooping like this for a couple of months.

4C2AF6AB-F16B-4A82-BD3E-CEA3F113476D.jpeg 260557B9-24BA-403D-A459-81E6235B270F.jpeg 855CC9C8-2D04-48FC-9253-6CECA4B159B6.jpeg 06027AB1-4900-4FC2-944D-3DAF8048EA6A.jpeg 0F4459DD-7046-46FB-9EF7-E7A97E9E2325.jpeg
Can you post a video? Linking to You Tube works well. I want to see the angel’s breathing rate. The one shot of it laying on its side does not bode well I’m afraid!
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video? Linking to You Tube works well. I want to see the angel’s breathing rate. The one shot of it laying on its side does not bode well I’m afraid!
Jay
https://youtube.com/shorts/QpG9ALJbyBQ?feature=share https://youtube.com/shorts/5d9sE3xTxrQ?feature=share https://youtube.com/shorts/t5EU8g0FZys?feature=share he tried to swim to the top a few times but just fell back down again, I don’t understand what went wrong, the second picture is from yesterday and he looks fine.

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your actual parameters?

Do you have any corals or inverts in your tank, or is it only fish? If there are corals or inverts, do you have a separate tank you can use for hospital/QT?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your actual parameters?

Do you have any corals or inverts in your tank, or is it only fish? If there are corals or inverts, do you have a separate tank you can use for hospital/QT?
Ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm, ph is at like 8.1 and nitrate is at .2ppm and I only have fish and a shrimp no corals and I don’t have a tank as a qt tank but if I need one I can put one together really quick

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm, ph is at like 8.1 and nitrate is at .2ppm and I only have fish and a shrimp no corals and I don’t have a tank as a qt tank but if I need one I can put one together really quick
How big is your display tank? Medication is dosed by volume and it’ll kill your shrimp, so you might want to set one up quick. You’re going to want to get copper power or copper safe medicine and medicate all of your fish with it at full strength for 30 days. Whatever the flame angel has, the rest have been exposed to. Read here for the protocol to follow:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your display tank? Medication is dosed by volume and it’ll kill your shrimp, so you might want to set one up quick. You’re going to want to get copper power or copper safe medicine and medicate all of your fish with it at full strength for 30 days. Whatever the flame angel has, the rest have been exposed to. Read here for the protocol to follow:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/
Will he even survive before I can get the medicine, I have some metroplex will that work

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
He’s still breathing but just laying down in the middle of the tank, do you know what else I could do you know the most about fish diseases?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s still breathing but just laying down in the middle of the tank, do you know what else I could do you know the most about fish diseases?
Sorry, I was in meetings all afternoon. The video shows that the angel is breathing really fast and is what we call moribund, or close to death. You can try a Hail Mary 5 minute freshwater dip, but that may just hasten its death. I think this may be a gill disease called velvet. It will likely spread to your other fish - what other fish have been exposed to this one? Do you have access to a tank that you can dose with copper? (No invertebrates).
Jay

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will he even survive before I can get the medicine, I have some metroplex will that work
Metroplex is an antibiotic, and will do nothing against velvet or other similar parasites. You need to get a copper treatment, and quickly, because even if this fish dies, any other fish that were in the tank with it have been exposed to whatever it is and are likely to get it now as well. All of the fish in the tank need to be treated for 30 days with therapeutic copper, and the tank needs to be left fallow for at least 45 days and turned up to 82 degrees F.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was in meetings all afternoon. The video shows that the angel is breathing really fast and is what we call moribund, or close to death. You can try a Hail Mary 5 minute freshwater dip, but that may just hasten its death. I think this may be a gill disease called velvet. It will likely spread to your other fish - what other fish have been exposed to this one? Do you have access to a tank that you can dose with copper? (No invertebrates).
Jay
I have 2 clowns with it and a shrimp so I can’t dose anything at the moment, I would have to make a extra tank to put my shrimp in. So is there nothing I can do for the fish, also could this be happening from shock or something I just did a water change and my salinity went down a little and I accidentally left my heater unplugged overnight? And can velvet affect a fish overnight like that because he was fine yesterday but he was just hiding a little more than usual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns with it and a shrimp so I can’t dose anything at the moment, I would have to make a extra tank to put my shrimp in. So there’s nothing I can do for the fish, also could this be happening from shock or something I just did a water change and my salinity went down a little and I accidentally left my heater unplugged overnight? And can velvet affect a fish overnight like that because he was fine yesterday but he was just hiding a little more than usual.
Bucket with heater and air stone will suffice in an emergency

Upvote 0

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns with it and a shrimp so I can’t dose anything at the moment, I would have to make a extra tank to put my shrimp in. So there’s nothing I can do for the fish, also could this be happening from shock or something I just did a water change and my salinity went down a little and I accidentally left my heater unplugged overnight? And can velvet affect a fish overnight like that because he was fine yesterday but he was just hiding a little more than usual.
heater unplugged over night. What is the temp?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns with it and a shrimp so I can’t dose anything at the moment, I would have to make a extra tank to put my shrimp in. So is there nothing I can do for the fish, also could this be happening from shock or something I just did a water change and my salinity went down a little and I accidentally left my heater unplugged overnight? And can velvet affect a fish overnight like that because he was fine yesterday but he was just hiding a little more than usual.
A temperature or minor salinity drop won’t cause this. Velvet has very subtle symptoms at first, and fish can die 36 or so hours later, so it is very fast.
Jay

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

there was no mention of the decoration the fish is hiding in . But I remember years ago there was evidence of some sort of toxin released from artificial decor .

Could this be a possibility ?
Is there test kits to test for anything that could possibly leach from these items ?

Upvote 0

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp now is 73 but the lowest it could have got was 70 degrees

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

there was no mention of the decoration the fish is hiding in . But I remember years ago there was evidence of some sort of toxin released from artificial decor .

Could this be a possibility ?
Is there test kits to test for anything that could possibly leach from these items ?
Put noting in that didn't come from the sea

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back