What’s wrong with my fish

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I woke up in the middle in the night today and saw my fish doing this, all my other fish are fine and my parameters are fine so I don’t know what’s wrong, the only things that were out of the ordinary that happened lately was I was setting up a automatic feeder and a bunch of fish food fell in a few times, I took all of it out but he ate every time, also he has been pooping like this for a couple of months.

4C2AF6AB-F16B-4A82-BD3E-CEA3F113476D.jpeg 260557B9-24BA-403D-A459-81E6235B270F.jpeg 855CC9C8-2D04-48FC-9253-6CECA4B159B6.jpeg 06027AB1-4900-4FC2-944D-3DAF8048EA6A.jpeg 0F4459DD-7046-46FB-9EF7-E7A97E9E2325.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coppersafe, and it is safe with clownfish. You usually need to adjust the dose with a copper test kit, but if you know the EXACT volume of water in your tank, you can dose according to the instructions on the bottle and get away with using a test kit.

Jay
How long do I have to do it for?

Upvote 0

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days - there are notes at top of fish disease treatment and diagnosis forum that detail how to do it properly. I recommend reading all of these

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything that can go faster or does it have to be 30 days?

Because of the life cycle of the various parasites, 30 days is best. Some people go 14 days beyond the day the last symptoms were seen, but that incurs more risk.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the life cycle of the various parasites, 30 days is best. Some people go 14 days beyond the day the last symptoms were seen, but that incurs more risk.

Jay
What are the symptoms of velvet and if the fish had any diseases can any of they spread to humans?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the symptoms of velvet and if the fish had any diseases can any of they spread to humans?
The primary symptom of velvet is rapid breathing. The fish may hover in water current and they will stop eating. Towards the end they develop glassy eyes me sometimes fine dust on their bodies.
None of the external parasite diseases of fish can be transmitted to people. Some internal worms can but you have to eat the fish. Some bacteria in aquarium water can harm people, so wear gloves and don’t start siphons by mouth.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary symptom of velvet is rapid breathing. The fish may hover in water current and they will stop eating. Towards the end they develop glassy eyes me sometimes fine dust on their bodies.
None of the external parasite diseases of fish can be transmitted to people. Some internal worms can but you have to eat the fish. Some bacteria in aquarium water can harm people, so wear gloves and don’t start siphons by mouth.
Jay
Thanks, one more question. Can fish diseases linger in the water even if the fish in treated already because im getting a fish that can use copper so i don't want to add it if something like velvet is still in the water where it can infect the fish?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, one more question. Can fish diseases linger in the water even if the fish in treated already because im getting a fish that can use copper so i don't want to add it if something like velvet is still in the water where it can infect the fish?

Yes - some parasites can live in aquariums without a fish host for a period of time and then they are able to reinfect new fish if they are added to the tank. The time it takes for the parasites to die out varies depending on water temperature and the species of parasite involved, but it runs 45 to 75 days. This is called the "fallow period".

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - some parasites can live in aquariums without a fish host for a period of time and then they are able to reinfect new fish if they are added to the tank. The time it takes for the parasites to die out varies depending on water temperature and the species of parasite involved, but it runs 45 to 75 days. This is called the "fallow period".

Jay
Can fish parasites spread to inverts

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you’re ignoring everyone’s advice to read the stickied threads at the top of the disease forum? Some of them were written by @Jay Hemdal, about these exact topics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell jay knows the most about fish diseases and it’s faster to just ask him himself than look for a hour through threads to find it

Upvote 0

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell jay knows the most about fish diseases and it’s faster to just ask him himself than look for a hour through threads to find it
The whole point of the stickied threads is to save his valuable time for topics that aren’t already covered in them…

Upvote 0

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you don't need to ask him redundant questions that are detailed in the fish disease forum already

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back