What’s wrong with my royal gramma

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a curved back kind of resembling a bow, a bulging tummy, and the portion of his body that’s yellow is very slim. He also has a transparent part on the part of his body right before his tail like there’s scales missing or something. Hopefully the video is clear

OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FCF090E6-AD4E-47E0-94ED-84D0D662F683.jpeg

Sorry the video won’t post. Here a photo sorry if it’s not good

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background?
was he always this way, is he new, does eat…..

Based only on the pic, maybe malnourished

OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background?
was he always this way, is he new, does eat…..

Based only on the pic, maybe malnourished
He did not look this way at the fish store. He is probably the least competitive eater in the tank taking like 1 or 2 pieces of mysis and that's it. I thought that was normal for such a small fish. so you think it may be underfed?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not look this way at the fish store. He is probably the least competitive eater in the tank taking like 1 or 2 pieces of mysis and that's it. I thought that was normal for such a small fish. so you think it may be underfed?
Under feeding especially in swim tanks happens too often. Do you have an established tank with live rock? Or is it presently quite sterile? Fish feed all day long, if there is food available. How many fish do you have and how often do you feed them? Couldn’t tell by the photo if your tank is new and barren or a thriving reef? We as “reef” hobbyists merely supplement their diets with Brine, Mysis, Krill etc. much like a whale dying up current from the reef providing food for days.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RG kinda a shy eater as you correctly stated.
If he’s eating (while not as much as you would like) it’s the most important.

I see maybe a tiny tail nip, no concern.

Mine don’t look much different than yours, it’s a small fish so “underfed” maybe, but super hard to tell in the pic I see.
Mine don’t even eat with the others, prefers to dine alone.

When the eat, act and swim normal, I do nothing. 73440BC7-5697-4BCA-A1E8-4D2E2A4B6953.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under feeding especially in swim tanks happens too often. Do you have an established tank with live rock? Or is it presently quite sterile? Fish feed all day long, if there is food available. How many fish do you have and how often do you feed them? Couldn’t tell by the photo if your tank is new and barren or a thriving reef? We as “reef” hobbyists merely supplement their diets with Brine, Mysis, Krill etc. much like a whale dying up current from the reef providing food for days.
the tank is 10 weeks old. I am trying to start feeding a larger variety of frozens to see what clicks with him. I'm going to add baby brine to my feeding regiment next

OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RG kinda a shy eater as you correctly stated.
If he’s eating (while not as much as you would like) it’s the most important.

I see maybe a tiny tail nip, no concern.

Mine don’t look much different than yours, it’s a small fish so “underfed” maybe, but super hard to tell in the pic I see.
Mine don’t even eat with the others, prefers to dine alone.

When the eat, act and swim normal, I do nothing. 73440BC7-5697-4BCA-A1E8-4D2E2A4B6953.jpeg
beautiful fish, by the way

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back