What’s your average monthly tank expense(s)?

What’s your average monthly reef/tank expense?

• Less than $25

Votes: 53 12.1%
  • $26 - $50

Votes: 88 20.0%
  • $51 - $100

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • $101 - $150

Votes: 67 15.3%
  • $151 - $250

Votes: 48 10.9%
  • $251 - $500

Votes: 33 7.5%
  • $501+

Votes: 28 6.4%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the rare hobby that actually makes money, or even breaks even for the hobbyist. The facts are that most hobbies cost money.

I just accept that my salt water aquarium/s hobby is a money pit. It keeps me meanfully occupied and my husband and I both enjoy looking at the aquariums. We can afford it so that is that.

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably under $100 each month over the last year. However, if you had asked me this 5 years ago when my tank was less full, I would have said $300 per month (I actually tracked my costs back then).

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30$ electricity Every 2 months in winter and about 50$ in summer with my chiller running,Salt 25$ a bucket that lasts about a year as I collect water from the beach in front of my house and use a mix of NSW and salt mix for water changes once a month. Corals and fish I have not gotten anything in at least six months.

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have posted this previously on my 'monster build thread'. Most of it has held true over time but I decided to modify it a bit with some updates that are now more in line.

I hesitate to say how much any of this would cost as there is so much variation in product choices and theories behind how often you should add/change media, etc.. However, when I was considering my build initially I thought it would have been helpful to have some guidance on how much the overall support costs would rise. So this is only my attempt to share what a 1000g system is using in my unique situation for anyone considering doing there own. I FULLY acknowledge this is just my own individual experience and not a how-to guide.

First the system basics. It's important to compare apples to apples if your goal is to get a true cost per gallon estimate to understand tank efficiency.

A) System Volume: 1000g
B) Electronics being used:
- Tradewinds IL-75s 3/4hp chiller
- BubbleKing Deluxe 300
- (4) Ecotech MP-60's
- (6) Ecotech XR30 G4Pro
- Ecotech Reeflink
- Dolphin return
- (2) Panworld 50PXX ATO and Mix Station pumps
- Apex control
- (2) Apex EB832
- Apex WXM
- Apex ATK
- Spectrapure Litermeter III, (2) LM RMP's
- Spectrapure MaxCap RODI 90-MF-10 system
C) Media in use: CA, ALK, MG, various macro algae, filter socks, carbon, gfo
D) Salt used: Reef Crystals

Routine:
- Daily use of about 3g H2O for ATO
- Weekly 100 g water change (use 1/2 box of RC salt, make 100g H2O)
- Weekly make 5g CA, ALK, MG (using BRS two-part)
- Daily run lights on reverse cycle for about 9 hours each (all settings available on build thread)
- Monthly change GFO and carbon. Use about 1g each, again using BRS.
- Weekly change filter socks.
- Chiller set to 76-78. Heater is there too but rarely comes on in FL.
- APEX control 24/7
- Main pump 24/7, ATO 24/7, and salt mixing station set to run 1 hour per day.
- Every 6 months RODI filters change.

In total, with electricity being estimated only (too much other crap in my house to really know. I'm only going off my Apex's estimates here) it costs about $500 per month to keep this pretty basic routine. So I have basically given myself about a .$50 per gallon goal moving forward.

Sage advice was given to me and I freely share it. "The cost of upkeep may seem annoying but pales in comparison to losing even one fish or coral, let alone the time/hassle/cost of medications/cleaning/correcting if you fall behind. Good, solid upkeep more than pays off in the long run". I assure you they were absolutely right. While mine is not necessarily the best tank anyone has ever seen I am proud of the fact it is nuisance algae and pest free.

Again, just a guidepost so you can gauge for yourself all those 'extra' costs that are so hard to predict and ultimately what will end up being the long-term expense after initial setup investment.

(I purposefully left out the initial set up costs and any livestock costs. The people at American Express and Wells Fargo would have a field day with that :)...... )

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back