What’s your controller experience with crappy internet?

Ecotech Marine

BaghdadBean

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hello folks, a few more technical questions here, this time for those of you with tank controllers/Apex/GHL/All that fancy stuff.

Do any of my fellow rural reefers have experience with tank controllers or “smart” equipment on crappy internet? I live in an area where the upgrade from dial up to dsl was recent and colorful. I’m still a little skeptical of tank controllers but… it would be nice to get an alert when the power inevitably dies, or if a parameter swings crazy. It might even be nice to be able to set something up to shut down my lighting if temperatures climb and my chiller inexplicably fails, especially since it was manufactured by a company that doesn’t exist anymore. Yet how would I know that the power shut off if the controller isn’t getting juice anymore? Would there be any way to tell if it was a genuine power outage or just a internet drop? Do y’all put yours on battery back up? I’m guessing the modem would also have to be on battery backup. Do controllers HAVE to be on WiFi or can they be wired? How much will a crappy connection affect the usability of your controller?

Photo from a trip to our Oregon Coast Aquarium for no reason at all. :D

Thank you!

45C82F53-FFE5-4355-AE19-F8FDC45C4D2B.jpeg

Zoanthids
OP
BaghdadBean

BaghdadBean

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think Fusion lets you know if the power to your Apex gets disconnected, but this summer had been relatively uneventful.
How easy is it to use the tools in Fusion? I never had an Apex in the past because it was too confusing and I was intimidated out of trying it. I always just used mechanical timers and thermostats that could be chucked out and easily replaced if they went bad. I’m rethinking that approach some with this build since I live in an area more prone to outage and I want to build a solid SPS focused system. With lagoon corals and mostly softies before, it didn’t seem so mission critical.

blaxsun

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How easy is it to use the tools in Fusion? I never had an Apex in the past because it was too confusing and I was intimidated out of trying it. I always just used mechanical timers and thermostats that could be chucked out and easily replaced if they went bad. I’m rethinking that approach some with this build since I live in an area more prone to outage and I want to build a solid SPS focused system. With lagoon corals and mostly softies before, it didn’t seem so mission critical.
There’s an initial learning curve, but this is more familiarizing yourself with how Apex sets everything up and works. Once you understand that there is a wealth of advanced programming tutorials, examples, etc. - not to mention several very knowledgeable individuals on R2R.

Last edited:
AI Hydra

Speaking of your latest coral purchase...

• It was a GREAT deal

Votes: 115 36.1%
  • It was a good deal

Votes: 101 31.7%
  • It was nether good nor bad

Votes: 75 23.5%
  • It was a bad deal

Votes: 20 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.5%
AF