What’s your experience keeping Cardinals in odd numbers?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The social species like PJs, Yellow Striped, Threadfin etc. Does the odd one out get singled out as the others pair up? I’m trying to reduce my number of PJs to free up space for other fish. Are they like Bangaiis that behave aggressively towards conspecifics and kill each other unless they’re a mates pair?

Last edited:

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe social cardinals actually pair up like Bangaii do. I've always kept Zoramia leptacantha in odd numbers. The problem is therefor not a numbers game but getting the male to female ratio correct from the start. With to many females in the group males spend to much time holding eggs in there mouth preventing them from feeding properly over and over again. When the weakest goes down, more pressure on the remaining males until the next goes down and the next.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I put (3) Banggai in my tank about 6 1/2 months ago. 2 have paired and the other is just fine cruising around the tank. The male is currently holding babies in his mouth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back