What’s your favorite ocean movie?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titanic…….. A touching drama about how the reef gets fed.
178CEDCE-C000-4FD3-959F-63476FF588CB.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titanic…….. A touching drama about how the reef gets fed.
178CEDCE-C000-4FD3-959F-63476FF588CB.jpeg
That's exactly what I thought when I watched Open Water. I kept muttering "don't any of you people have aquariums?", and "ooh, they finally got the fish to feed!", attracting annoyed glares from other moviegoers.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I thought when I watched Open Water. I kept muttering "don't any of you people have aquariums?", and "ooh, they finally got the fish to feed!", attracting annoyed glares from other moviegoers.
Right? I was only one of three people who stood and clapped at the end. :p

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Abyss, hands down. I say this because I have seen with my own eyes the "alien" creatures at the end of the movie.

I was in the Sea of Cortez at the end of a deep dive doing a looong safety stop. We had at least 30 minutes at 15' to safely off gas. With my buoyancy neutral I had nothing to do but look around in the murky water, so I focused on the tiny creatures in the water column with me. All of the creatures from the movie were there for me to see - they were just millimeters in size.

It was one of the most memorable dives I've ever had. I didn't really want to surface but was finally running low on air. When I did surface, the liveaboard was a tiny speck on the horizon. Luckily enough for me and the rest in the somewhat spread out group, the dory was right behind us waiting to take us back to the boat for lunch.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking documentaries or scripted/fictional movies? For documentaries the Blue Planet series is hard to beat. I find a lot of ocean related documentaries depressing these days, Blackfish, The Cove, etc, so I don’t watch too many.

As far as ocean related movies, The Abyss, Underwater, The Shallows, The Life Aquatic, Sanctum, Open Water, and of course the best worst ocean movie ever made: Waterworld (just barely nudging out Sphere for the top/bottom spot).
Mostly talking about non fictional movies, documentaries, shows, etc. Blue Planet is amazing, I need to rewatch it.

Also, David Attenborough’s voice is something I can’t get over, it’s so pleasant.
The one where a cruiseship full of reefing newbies get eaten by Jaws
First good laugh of the new year

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For movies that have something to do with sea life: Chasing Coral, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Finding Nemo, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, My Octopus Teacher.

For movies where the sea is the setting: The Abyss, Das Boot, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little mermaid is my all time favorite kid movie and puff I watched recently was well done.
It was really good. I think it’s a good movie for new hobbyists especially.
Anything with David Attenborough. :)
that’s what I’m saying!!!.
The Abyss, hands down. I say this because I have seen with my own eyes the "alien" creatures at the end of the movie.

I was in the Sea of Cortez at the end of a deep dive doing a looong safety stop. We had at least 30 minutes at 15' to safely off gas. With my buoyancy neutral I had nothing to do but look around in the murky water, so I focused on the tiny creatures in the water column with me. All of the creatures from the movie were there for me to see - they were just millimeters in size.

It was one of the most memorable dives I've ever had. I didn't really want to surface but was finally running low on air. When I did surface, the liveaboard was a tiny speck on the horizon. Luckily enough for me and the rest in the somewhat spread out group, the dory was right behind us waiting to take us back to the boat for lunch.
thanks for sharing your experience. I plan to dive for the first time in Roatán during Easter, so I’ll check this movie out before I go.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tumblr_31d65f31b8f793fb22bea87efe180a90_0179f374_640.gif

I can remember this movie coming on TV all the time when id stay up late as a kid, and always getting the chills when the alien takes him on the joyride at the end

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always loved the Abyss. I kind of thought I was weird growing up because no one shared my opinion. I guess I just had not found the right people. :)
That’s one of the things I like so much of this forum. There’s generally a consensus amongst most people on what’s good. …Except for how to cycle a tank, or what types of corals are superior…but we don’t talk about that

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back