What’s your favourite coral dip and why?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combo of dips.

First is 10 minutes in Koral MD from brightwell. Followed by a quick rinse/shake in fresh salt water.

I follow that with a 1 minute dip in Coral Essentials Coral Power FW and another rinse. (Don't use this on Monti's)

Then it's 10 minutes in Dip X from Red Sea, followed by another rinse.

Last is a dip in Lugol's and anothe rinse.

This has kept me pest free in my receiving and frag tanks. Prior to Dip X I was using a second dose of Koral MD or Coral RX.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive and coral RX are my go-to's. If I get acros, I also give them a bayer dip since it's the only thing I've found that works on Red bugs.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bottle of DipX arrived and I gave it a bash yesterday. Have to admit there was way more life in that dipping container when I removed the corals than any other dip I’ve ever used.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem iodine based dip. reason: is because its what I bought and got stuck with, still on the same bottle for two years. I think its useless against pests like apitasia since it literally states that its safe for anemones...
its a disinfectant against bacterial and fungal infections, but it works for me.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem iodine based dip. reason: is because its what I bought and got stuck with, still on the same bottle for two years. I think its useless against pests like apitasia since it literally states that its safe for anemones...
its a disinfectant against bacterial and fungal infections, but it works for me.
Is there a dip that kills aiptasia???

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Bayer Complete 20 mL per cup of water for 20 minutes. Sounds harsh but the product is very very gentle on the corals. The active ingredient Imidacloprid works by attacking the nervous system. Since corals have no nervous system, they are immune. I follow this up with a 20 minute dip in seachem reef dip which is an iodine-based solution. This is much harsher on the coral than the Bayer, but it does offer some protection against infection that the Bayer does not. So far, I haven’t had any pests get past this regimen.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I have had mixed results with multiple coral dips in the past with some doing really well for AEFW and others on different pests. What do we all use and why? I’d love some feedback on Redsea’s new DipX.
You should take a look at this thread.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer for me...i tried DipX and i have to say my sps corals did not like it, were stress...
Mixed feelings about this dip

I normally do not dip my acros because I get them from a couple select trusted sources. However this past weekend I bought a bunch of frags from the Phoenix Coral Farmers Market. Alot of the acros where either brown or light new growth. Nevertheless, awesome deals on big acros like $30 for cali tort and bonsai and wwc tenius for under $80. I did decide to use Red Sea DipX cuz they advertise it kills bugs and aefw. After following the instructions, the frags look horrible. Like they were bleached out and the zooxanthelle was killed out. One frag has some brown algae trying to grow on it now, some look like bones, and a few are brown. It will be interesting to see the percentage survival rate. I left them at 200-240 par for a week before moving them up in the 285 to 375 par. Definitely a lot of black specs fell out of the dip. Guessing regular pods. I will add pictures later. Usually with 3 months they will look good again.

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using seachem reef.dip.
Its an iodine based one which I like.
I also have gotten the large jug of revive in the past and I believe it's hydrogen peroxide based. I like both and have had good success with both.
Fire or actually separating the coral from aptasia are my approach but have added rocks with aptasia and now under the impression I need to add critters to the display to counter them. Worried about my rbta and rock nems though. Lol.
D

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bottle of DipX arrived and I gave it a bash yesterday. Have to admit there was way more life in that dipping container when I removed the corals than any other dip I’ve ever used.
I’ve been using it a lot lately and found the same thing… I am a fan of it so far! My tank is basically all LPS and a few mishrooms…. But I am getting so beginner sps in this week. Have you tried it on sps? If you have any suggestions?

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does DipX work to clean SPS frag of dinos? I'm concerned buying SPS and dip not cleaning it 100%.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does DipX work to clean SPS frag of dinos? I'm concerned buying SPS and dip not cleaning it 100%.

Dinos are probably in every tank if I had to guess. It is just a problem when they grow out of control. I wouldn't worry

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are probably in every tank if I had to guess. It is just a problem when they grow out of control. I wouldn't worry
Huh, I hope that statement is not true. I don't have dinos and want to make sure I don't get it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back