What’s your next next big tank upgrade?

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or what are you currently researching with intention as your next big move?

Ill start, my tank is about 165 gallons and has been up and running for about 6 months. My livestock is filling up between fish and corals and starting to consume more. Currently dosing All-4-Reef for stability and going great. I want to look into a reactor for down the road. Feels daunting for some reason...but more cost efficient in the end.

What, as a reefer, is your next big move? We all think about it..now let’s talk about it!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend the calcium reactor upgrade. Was dosing 100ml/day B-Ionic 2 part but was getting precipitation. Set up CARX 3 months ago and haven’t added anything.

Think my next big upgrade will be moving CARX and other sump parts to basement. All depends on getting permission from the wife.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% happy with my lighting. It's a 24" 6 bulb t5 over my rimless 36" tank. It looks great hanging over the tank and grows things well but I do miss having some shimmer. Plus the colors could be better.

Unfortunately MH lights would mess up the aesthetic and I've never seen an LED lit tank in person that I like.

Maybe I'll find an attractive option one of these days.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's holding you back??? I went from a 20L to a 55 corner to my current 165 with my first sump in the matter of a year. Given we had a fair amount of time because of the pandemic.
Mainly time and space I live in a apartment looking to move soon to a bigger one so I don't want to setup a new tank just to move it again in November. I want to get a drop off tank maybe 75g

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% happy with my lighting. It's a 24" 6 bulb t5 over my rimless 36" tank. It looks great hanging over the tank and grows things well but I do miss having some shimmer. Plus the colors could be better.

Unfortunately MH lights would mess up the aesthetic and I've never seen an LED lit tank in person that I like.

Maybe I'll find an attractive option one of these days.

Would these leds with 3d printed light shades work for you?

FC748C89-DB61-43B7-907A-CCFB51D84D9C.jpeg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a question! In process of doing total upgrades!
125 to 265 tank
Taking the apex/neptune plunge.
Setting up a larger water change station (currently 2 brutes) in garage with 100 gal water storage
Setting up auto water change.
Upgrading lights to new instead of adding to what I have for the new tank (3 viperspectres)
New larger tank means upgrading all equipment....
Downgrading my bank account lol's

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these leds with 3d printed light shades work for you?

FC748C89-DB61-43B7-907A-CCFB51D84D9C.jpeg

Those look pretty sleek. I wish I liked LEDS honestly but every tank I've seen in person just looked kind of off. I wish I could pinpoint what it is exactly. I'd like to see the ATI straton and Mitras lx7 in person but that's alot of money to shell out when I'm not confident I'd like it.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look pretty sleek. I wish I liked LEDS honestly but every tank I've seen in person just looked kind of off. I wish I could pinpoint what it is exactly. I'd like to see the ATI straton and Mitras lx7 in person but that's alot of money to shell out when I'm not confident I'd like it.

That’s what makes this hobby so interesting - diversity in opinions and tastes.

Good luck with your lighting selection!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what makes this hobby so interesting - diversity in opinions and tastes.

Good luck with your lighting selection!

Thanks! It's always the toughest choice for me. And it's hard to tell from pictures how different lights actually looks in person.

Your tank looks fantastic, beautiful colonies.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's always the toughest choice for me. And it's hard to tell from pictures how different lights actually looks in person.

Your tank looks fantastic, beautiful colonies.

Thank you and agree 100% about viewing things in person! Too many things look great in pics (especially corals) but have been disappointing when seen in person.

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! My WC station definitely needs some love. @Susan Edwards I've been running two viperspectra 165s over 4'x30"x30" since November 2020. I love how great my coral responds. For me I have them 15" off the water and 20% blues with 1% white. Definitely be careful with them because they are powerful.

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last few month I went from a IM EXT 50 lagoon to a Cade 1200 . upgraded lights (well went from a 36in hybrid with 2 hydra32 to a 48 in with 3).everything else just migrated fro. The lagoon . I want a calcium reactor.its a big difference dosing g a 50 gal vs 150

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back