Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I personally love gorgonians but don’t see a lot in the hobby. I know the non photosynthetic ones are rare because well their hard to keep, but what about the photosynthetic ones? I have a few different species in my tank. Do you have any? Why are they uncommon? Do you like them, think their ok, or dislike them?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love gorgonians! I started a thread on this a couple months ago actually! I snorkel with them a few times a week while I'm at school in St Kitts, and currently have 1 photosynthetic gorgonian in my 75 gallon mixed reef, with 4 more varieties on the way to my house tomorrow.

2021_0226_12355700.jpg
2021_0226_13523700.jpg
2021_0121_16573000.jpg
2021_0226_12335000.jpg
2021_0226_12351500.jpg
2021_0226_13520500.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Plants has some gorgeous gorgonias that are photosynthetic, cheap and very large sizes.
That's where my 4 coming tomorrow are coming from! Always been happy with whatever I have ordered from there! I have a few sponges, some macro, and Nassarius snails coming in as well from them

Clown2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted meh, not because I dislike them but I think they need the right tank to look their best. In the mangrove tank above they are stunning

but I have yet to find one that would look at home amongst my zoa, scoly hammer etc in a 32 gallon.

But if such a gorgonian exists i would love to know and try to find one :D

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted meh, not because I dislike them but I think they need the right tank to look their best. In the mangrove tank above they are stunning

but I have yet to find one that would look at home amongst my zoa, scoly hammer etc in a 32 gallon.

But if such a gorgonian exists i would love to know and try to find one :D
Using a couple pics off Google. And yes, I know the one is a gorgonian dedicated tank, but still gorgeous so had to share it.

IMG_20190309_165117.jpg saz9ofkwe73y.jpg imageproxy (2).jpeg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are photosynthetic ones but are they easy to keep like your average Mushrooms, Leathers, GSPs and Xenia?
Yes. Just like bright light and high flow. Honestly, pretty similar to SPS but can take much more variation in water quality. Here in St Kitts, you can find them right by the boat launches in some pretty dirty water, but also in perfectly clear water. And the amount of flow they take is insane. I've watched them be completely bent over in both directions being pulled by the current and waves, and also still grow in relatively calm water. Here they grow with a variety of sponges, Porites, Favias, lots of Millepora (Fire coral), and various brain corals. Occasionally with elkhorn coral, but elkhorn is almost entirely gone here now from pollution. Slowly coming back though!

Last edited:

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians are awesome! Unfortunately different varieties are hard to come by, so I just keep on fragging my standard issue pink gorgonian and spreading it all throughout the tank lol. I'm hoping to find a nice sea fan eventually.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians are awesome! Unfortunately different varieties are hard to come by, so I just keep on fragging my standard issue pink gorgonian and spreading it all throughout the tank lol. I'm hoping to find a nice sea fan eventually.
Definitely check out Gulf Coast Ecosystems! (live-plants.com) They have a huge variety of photosynthetic gorgs including a purple sea fan!

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love NPS gongonians, dislike photosynthetic ones, dull and drab, and grow too tall.

Diodogorgia is frequently available in my area, both colors, it is possible to keep it in a specialized setup, they grow well. Small polyps NPS gorgonians require more high tech setup, still a lot of people keep or kept this kind of NPS tanks, with full description of their setups posted online. As with other filter feeders.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 different gorgonians in my 125 gallon mixed reef. They sit about mid-way up the tank in front my of gyres and are very happy. My cardinal and my filefish like to hang out in the branches.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love NPS gongonians, dislike photosynthetic ones, dull and drab, and grow too tall.

Diodogorgia is frequently available in my area, both colors, it is possible to keep it in a specialized setup, they grow well. Small polyps NPS gorgonians require more high tech setup, still a lot of people keep or kept this kind of NPS tanks, with full description of their setups posted online. As with other filter feeders.
NPS gorgs are fun, for sure. Little more work, but still very easy IMO.

Just an example of two of the easy ones I have.

IMG_2290.jpg

tempImagejYCwiX.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back