What’s your opinion on the role of detritus in a reef tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If / when the @ thread is started so we can all reach consistent opinion on states of risk and waste in reefing, I think an ideal title to attract five jobs a day for five years will be:

How to manage sandbeds in all aspects of reefing without rinsing.

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If / when the @ thread is started so we can all reach consistent opinion on states of risk and waste in reefing, I think an ideal title to attract five jobs a day for five years will be:

Here is my question - why cant you just use a python and siphon x percent and 'rinse' the sand that way - once a week? If thats what you want to do. I mean - I have a 100+ gallon tank - and I can easily siphon (and rinse) all the sand taking out 5 gallons - which is what I do every week-2 weeks - associated with a water change. I do my sump less often - but perhaps every couple months. It doesnt cause a problem. Any 'bad stuff' - sulfur, etc - is sucked away with the water. I still don't get why someone would want to take all of their sand out - and 'rinse it' - when there seem to be much easier ways to do it. BTW - I turn off flow pumps - use my (gloved/clean) hands to sweep any stuff off the rock onto the sand - and then do the siphoning. With the python you can set the water flow so its just enough to suck up the sand - but not enough to siphon the sand away.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I don't understand this ?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My opinion on the role of detritus in a reef tank:​

If something doesn't eat it then it will just go to waste.

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why cant you just use a python and siphon x percent and 'rinse' the sand that way - once a week?
This seems like the most logical solution for someone wishing to have any type of substrate but also keep nutrients low. Personally I find it much easier just to keep detritus suspended so it’s caught by the floss in my mechanical filter and can be removed periodically.
When I used to keep freshwater planted tanks, I would let detritus build up in the substrate as a form of food for the plants. However, without regular use of the python, I would always get nuisance algae, no matter how healthy and fast my plants grew. The only solution was to use the gravel vac to remove detritus, then dose fertilizer into fresh water after the top up. I suspect a similar system would work well for high-maintenance reefs: remove detritus; replace with new saltwater; dose liquid nutrients for corals and macros. This seems more stable and reliable than hoping detritus gets you everywhere you need to go.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This seems like the most logical solution for someone wishing to have any type of substrate but also keep nutrients low. Personally I find it much easier just to keep detritus suspended so it’s caught by the floss in my mechanical filter and can be removed periodically.
When I used to keep freshwater planted tanks, I would let detritus build up in the substrate as a form of food for the plants. However, without regular use of the python, I would always get nuisance algae, no matter how healthy and fast my plants grew. The only solution was to use the gravel vac to remove detritus, then dose fertilizer into fresh water after the top up. I suspect a similar system would work well for high-maintenance reefs: remove detritus; replace with new saltwater; dose liquid nutrients for corals and macros. This seems more stable and reliable than hoping detritus gets you everywhere you need to go.
To me the easy part is I can just make 40 gallons of saltwater - overnight - Siphon the sand - so the sand stays in the tank - siphon the rock - etc. -and I know how much 40 gallons is - when I siphon my tank down - I just unscrew the python - and screw it on to my pump - which is in my salt water container - and the tank refills - its about 1/2 hour - every couple weeks. I only have about 1/4 inch of fine sand in the tank - so its not a big issue to clean it. In my discus tank (which is 200 gallons - I just drain it - so there is like an inch of water - after doing the same process with the sand - and then fill it up with fresh water from the tap (at 84 degrees) - I also add stress coat - periodically. Makes water changes simple - no buckets, etc. I don't mind detritus - I also am not sure its helpful.

GotCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a sump and what doesn’t get picked up by the filter and skimmer my diamond goby appears to get as he seems to turn the entire sand bed over multiple times throughout the day, the crabs, snails, and shrimps clean the rest . I have no algae or diatoms so I’m going to have to say it’s food for a few of those critters.
I just thinned my sand bed from 3+ inches to about 1 inch as a part of resetting my system for a new phase.

I scan speak from experience...that sand bed...unmaintained...was disgusting. I vacuumed it all before removing to avoid killing my fish but it took bucket after bucket after bucket of thick garbage. I used Microbacter 7 doses to help clean the water for the fish while I went through this phase. Seemed to work well.

I plan is to just stir the sand once in a while and move on. If it becomes a problem, I'll take out a little more sand.

In the past I've had diamond sleeper gobies. They are definitely awesome for cleaning sand. I highly recommend them.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good timing. recent whole tank cleaning example from Cook was very detailed in its sandbed rinse time. we can track his tank now onward with updates to see how ecosystem fares after the rip clean.

it certainly has no detritus now, 100+ gallon setup with pounds of live rock and eleven hours of sand rinsing, that's for darn sure.

on this thread we got a little debated at times/that's fun/good for the hobby.

in the end we should all be documenting examples one way or another and see what comes out in the lead overall, highest # of happy reefers. = w help the hobby.

after eleven pages here, the one thing I'm certain on is the role of detritus in reefing is there to keep me busy with remote surgery jobs and live time feedback, so I like it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good timing. recent whole tank cleaning example from Cook was very detailed in its sandbed rinse time. we can track his tank now onward with updates to see how ecosystem fares after the rip clean.

it certainly has no detritus now, 100+ gallon setup with pounds of live rock and eleven hours of sand rinsing, that's for darn sure.

on this thread we got a little debated at times/that's fun/good for the hobby.

in the end we should all be documenting examples one way or another and see what comes out in the lead overall, highest # of happy reefers. = w help the hobby.

after eleven pages here, the one thing I'm certain on is the role of detritus in reefing is there to keep me busy with remote surgery jobs and live time feedback, so I like it.
I think a bare bottom tank looks 'bad' - unless its covered with coral (for example I've seen some with GSP, or LPS - such that you cant see the bottom. However, in those cases, you also run the risk of not being able to clean well at all (which some would consider a positive. I have taken a low-middle ground - I keep about 1/4 inch of sand on my tank bottom - which blows around sometimes - makes interesting patterns, is easy to clean/vacuum (takes 5 minutes every month) and looks great.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee my favia is mean enough to plate cover a tank in five years as mouth flooring that w be sick. it really would work on a larger system

when it becomes nuisance up the sides just poke it out with a sharp flat tip phillips wedge poke score

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was watching this talk by Joe Yaiullo (in 2016). Near the end, he asked several other well known aquarists their advice for long term success. Almost all of them said detritus removal.

However, I don’t really understand why. So even if it’s not fully inert and can contribute to excess nutrients… is that necessarily a problem? With today’s techniques, nutrient removal doesn’t seem to be a major issue and many tanks struggle to have enough nutrients.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was watching this talk by Joe Yaiullo (in 2016). Near the end, he asked several other well known aquarists their advice for long term success. Almost all of them said detritus removal.

However, I don’t really understand why. So even if it’s not fully inert and can contribute to excess nutrients… is that necessarily a problem? With today’s techniques, nutrient removal doesn’t seem to be a major issue and many tanks struggle to have enough nutrients.

I have never ever remove any detritus - in 5 years.

Sincerely Lasse

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sundog

Reproducibility

Bob Ross was a fantastic painter

what he could do in his house was different than my painting skills as a layperson

Try this: exclude what someone did well at home, focus on reproducibility from the public.

anyone here wanting to test public reef response can go pick any ten new tank builds posted this week, send a message to them, tell them you’ll live time guide their setups into reef perfection and be accountable for the outcomes. We will never remove any waste detritus, as Lasse didn’t. So didn’t several posters here who, in their own reefs, report only perfection.

I believe they attained it too, crucial reefing ability has been shown by masterful aquarists / every science has its naturally-gifted but when dealing in lots of ten tanks, cleaner wins.

in March of this year let’s see the tanks and poll the owners for happiness. List the ten or so links here of the new tanks following hands off reefing, total internal balance, so we can track them one year.
No cleaning allowed, the systems will self balance and handle all waste internally via mineralization pathways

our rip clean threads will be the the control group. there are many we can track for total detritus removal benefits vs cons

Last edited:
Back