What’s your reaction? What would you put into a new media reactor?

What would you put into a new media reactor?

• Activated carbon

Votes: 128 45.2%
  • Granulate Ferric Oxide (GFO)

Votes: 70 24.7%
  • Biopellets

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 22 7.8%
  • None

Votes: 27 9.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s your reaction? What would you put into a new media reactor?

Imagine with me that you just attended a Reef-a-Palooza or similar reef show and you won a media reactor in the raffle or maybe you were able to win one in an R2R giveaway. Let assume that you have a medium-sized mixed reef with a sump – what type of media would you use? Or may the question should be – what type of medias should you consider? Would you put it to the side and only use it when certain parameters need to be improved? Do you avoid media reactors? Would you start with carbon and then switch to GFO or Biopellets when there is a specific issue in your tank?

Broadfield_MediaReactor.jpeg

Photo by @Broadfield

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put both GFO and carbon in my reactor. Mixed all together and have it on a light tumble.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really shouldn't have carbon tumbling, especially with GFO which is much harder than it, which will grind the carbon to a powder adding it to your water column.
This, you dont want that tumbling, it will get into the water column and will pack up your filtration.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of depends on what else I have in the system. If I only have one reactor, then carbon. If I already have carbon, then I'd add GFO.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for "None". I have now 3 media reactors sitting in the garage collecting dusts. For me, it's too much of a PITA to replace the media (turn it off, remove reactor from the sump and not spill, refill, etc). I've been using cheap, disposable nylon bags in a high-flow area. No more GFO either, just carbon (sometimes).

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 reactor running bio pellets. I just put carbon / rowaphos in a media bag in the sump when needed. Easy life

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back