What’s your reaction? What would you put into a new media reactor?

What would you put into a new media reactor?

• Activated carbon

Votes: 128 45.2%
  • Granulate Ferric Oxide (GFO)

Votes: 70 24.7%
  • Biopellets

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 22 7.8%
  • None

Votes: 27 9.5%

• Total voters

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I run bio pellets, gfo and carbon. So I guess I would turn it into something else. Find a good use for it...maybe make phyto on demand and hook up a pump and a doser to see if I could supply automated phyto

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I picked Biopellets. I knew I was not going to be part of the general population with this one but hear me out. With a Biopellet Reactor I can free up a large portion of my refugium. I might even be able to eliminate the need completely. What does that leave me with? More free space in my sump for a coral rack. And what does that mean? MORE CORALS!!! win/win.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reactor on standby for GFO/Carbon but couldn't tell you the last time I actually used it.

UV/Ozone rendered by Carbon usage obsolete

Sufficient filtration and AWC have me dosing nutrients vs worrying about GFO

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what I would use it for, because I'm ignorant, at this stage of my Reefing Life, as to what they are meant to do. So it would take a lot of research to find purpose and then adapting to my current system(s).

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some carbon to the tanks today. Every now and then I will add some carbon to try and clarify the water. Usually run it about a week or two then remove the reactor. I run a fuge and UV sterilizer which usually can maintain clear water. Maybe once every quarter I'll add the carbon reactor to get that crystal clear water. sometimes the water will get that green tint to it and the carbon will solve it no problem.

TheYear2525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think carbon is on the very top of the list of things to run.
I'm also running ammonia absorbing zeolite, but that seems more like a me problem. I seem to have that strange kind of tank that is guzzling up phosphate like crazy but barely any nitrate. Since you were supposed to give only one answer, I went with carbon.

smurfjacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo as I have one with carbon use to run gfo on bottom and carbon on top would make it easier to change just one or the other media out

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be against using GFO however I was convinced by a LFS with thriving system to use a(less that required amount) and change it regularly (every two week). Best thing I ever did.

This is another option for your media reactor. Turn it into a Macro Algae Scrubber, to control Nitrate & Phosphase.

You can buy one https://reefbuilders.com/2020/11/09/the-best-macroalgae-reactors-reef-builders-gear-guide/

Or turn any larger media reactor into a DIY scrubber using LED Strips like this.

1677193966656.png

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "none", even though I have high phosphates (.17) because I just consulted the guys at my coral store, who have amazing corals, and they said using biopellets was kind of outdated thinking because the tank becomes dependent on the bacteria if you remove the pellets, your tank can crash. Out of all the options I ran through (the ones listed above), they said GFO was the best, but they didn't even recommend that and said just do water changes. I only have a 20 gallon so maybe my situation is different. I'm far from and expert but for now, I'm going to try the water changes. If that doesn't work, I'll try the GFO, or maybe a chaeto reactor.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon in mine 24/7 (as I believe all tanks should have carbon in a bag or reactor). I have used gfo in it before but honestly its easier to put it in a fine bag and place it right before my filter socks or where the water drains into the sump (as it works just fine there). I like the carbon in a reactor over a bag because I can't stop any tumbling/grinding.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well kinda condition based... with softies and/or for general practice carbon especially if running ozone but just as easily placed in a media bag. Then again there are those that think carbon causes lateral line in tangs. The one thing that is a problem in most tanks is nitrate so biopellets which allegedly also remove some phosphates, so I run biopellets all the time. Now phosphate is something that tends to build up over time (like my 9 year old tank) so when phosphates get too high, I fire up a BRS reactor with HC GFO. Kind of a pain though because even with the more expensive HC its very dirty even after rinsing and the sponges in reactor clog pretty quick. It's meant to run GFO and carbon, in separate cannisters, but that's an even worse clog situation. And no just FTR and am not a frequent water changer and don't strive for ultra low nutrients (well not a stick head anymore either).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back